How Far Does Your Memory Stretch?

I was thinking back the other day as far as I could go back,I was born Feb.43 I,m sure I remember the barrage balloons round Neepsend Power Station,I can remember Liversey St when it was a dirt lane,a dust bowl in summer,a lake in winter.Behind Owlerton Stadium back then was the remains of a lot of large garden plots,later turned into a football pitch where Wednesday used to train.On the other side of Liversey St was a massive field where we ran wild as kids,also turned into 2 footy pitches where the College stands now!.Further back was a lovely pristine cricket ground and pavillion belonging to Daniel Doncasters,at the side of our cottage stood a small wood where I used to play as a young Tup there was an old abandoned dray in there rusting to bits on which I.d climb and mess about for hoursThe Power Station had a big sports ground and pavillion with individual bathrooms stretching to the river side,I remember watching a game once and the ball ended up in the Don one of the players having to swim to retrieve it!How far back can you push your memory as you get older?:confused::help:

I was born 42 and I can distinctly remember the V we had in our window. It had fairy lights on it which as I recall were used for years afterwards on the Christmas tree.

I can also remember standing out in the back yard, wearing my siren suit, holding my dads hand and watching loads and loads of aeroplanes going over. I've wondered about that a lot lately because I don't know why they were going over at that time. It couldn't have been a raid or I wouldn't have been stood standing out there, would I?:huh:

two or three one if not the first was when put in the homes while my mother was having a baby i must have pooped the bed remember being gather in sheets and all and dumped in a bath of ice cold water, that was 74_75 yrs, it must have worked up till now

I was born in April 1948 and I can remember being in hospital. I'm told it was Lodge Moor in February 1950, so I would have been not quite 2. I remember visiting time - my parents weren't allowed in the ward and had to peer at me and some other toddlers through a partition with lots of small windows in it. I also remember being given pink ice cream on the morning of the day I came home. I have lots more memories of the house at Woodland View where we lived until I was 3½.

It's difficult to put early memories in the right chronological order but I have a clear memory of looking for my peg in the nursery cloakroom. I had to look for the little brown bear on my apron and also whilst I can't remember if it was the first day at nursery or infants, I do remember kicking the teacher (well I was very scared :cry:) and watching a ladder run up the nylons of my teacher, my god she must have been so mad, nylons in the early 40's were like gold dust you either were very well off or sleeping with the yanks :o to own a pair.

I was born 42 and I can distinctly remember the V we had in our window. It had fairy lights on it which as I recall were used for years afterwards on the Christmas tree.

I can also remember standing out in the back yard, wearing my siren suit, holding my dads hand and watching loads and loads of aeroplanes going over. I've wondered about that a lot lately because I don't know why they were going over at that time. It couldn't have been a raid or I wouldn't have been stood standing out there, would I?:huh:

hiyha i remember that same night hundreds of bombers flying over sheffield all were going the same way i didn't know at the time as i was6/7 years old but later it was called the thousand bomber raid on germany, all i remember was the sky was full of planes for what seemed ages.one of my earliest memories was my dad having a broken wrist, and of him cutting the pot off so he could get back to work, another was he brought a goose home for christmas dinnner but played merry hell when it wanted plucking i was around 2 at the time. anhother was does anyone remember the very tall pole in endcliffe park field.

I can vaguely remember seeing the Coronation on 1953 when I was 2. We had a Murphy TV which was a cube shape but slightly curved on sides and top. The controls were under a pop up lid on the top and consisted of two knobs one to tune TV and 1 for volume. We still had it in good working order when we got our 1st colour TV which must have been in seventies:hihi::hihi:

...We had a Murphy TV which was a cube shape but slightly curved on sides and top. The controls were under a pop up lid on the top and consisted of two knobs one to tune TV and 1 for volume...
Yep - we had one too; it looked like this. The two knobs were actually for volume and brightness - early 1950s TVs didn't have tuners, as until ITV started in 1955 there was only one programme (each set was pre-tuned by the retailer to the local transmitter - Holme Moss was the one for Sheffield). Most people didn't have TV as they were expensive (a typical set cost about £40, or £750+ in today's money). There were a couple of dozen people in our living room watching the Coronation, while my mum served tea and home-made scones..:)

Yep - we had one too; it looked like this. The two knobs were actually for volume and brightness - early 1950s TVs didn't have tuners, as until ITV started in 1955 there was only one programme (each set was pre-tuned by the retailer to the local transmitter - Holme Moss was the one for Sheffield). Most people didn't have TV as they were expensive (a typical set cost about £40, or £750+ in today's money). There were a couple of dozen people in our living room watching the Coronation, while my mum served tea and home-made scones..:)

Yes that's the one but your's was posher than ours, we didn't have the stand. Wish I had one like that now it was an iconic piece of history wasn't it? You're probably right about controls - it was a long time ago

Archived