Smoking tradesmen. Would you employ one?

I think the OP is exaggerating.Any good tradesman would hesitate to work for such a fussy person.I bet the house has odours which the tradesman might object to such as cooking smells,cheap perfume and other sources of irritation.

I once worked for someone who refused to employ smokers. He was adamant that he wasn't going to pay people for smoking on his time. He figured that 6 cigarettes a day in between official breaks would cost him an hour a day.

I can see where he was coming from.

Totally agree . i smoke in my van whilst doing removals ,but ive never had anyone complain about it . as long as i do my job correct and deliver the goods in good condition ,whats the problem.

Why ?

But that is stinking your van out, not someones house :)

I think the OP is exaggerating.Any good tradesman would hesitate to work for such a fussy person.I bet the house has odours which the tradesman might object to such as cooking smells,cheap perfume and other sources of irritation.

You speak for all good tradesmen do you? :roll:

I once worked for someone who refused to employ smokers. He was adamant that he wasn't going to pay people for smoking on his time. He figured that 6 cigarettes a day in between official breaks would cost him an hour a day.

I can see where he was coming from.

The tradesmen are usually on a fixed price making your observation superfluous;the same would apply to tea drinkers and other people who take a break.most people who denigrate manual workers are either too lazy or too incompetent to do the work themselves.Personally I hang my own paper,stopping for the odd pull when I fancy.

I am wanting a room papering and rang a few local tradesmen to quote. One guy arrived absolutely reeking of tobacco. I had to leave the windows open after he left.

It just made me think that I would rather get someone else to do the job as the dust sheets and everything else from the van is going to stink my house out.

I'm sure I'm not alone in hating the stink of tobacco and wonder how much it disadvantages tradesmen who smoke.

I'd pick the one with the best credentials and a good quote - No point having someone who abides by your rules, but does a bad job... Let's not forget, if you are decorating, you'll have the windows open anyways :) Let's not be a drama queen, eh?

The tradesmen are usually on a fixed price making your observation superfluous;the same would apply to tea drinkers and other people who take a break.most people who denigrate manual workers are either too lazy or too incompetent to do the work themselves.Personally I hang my own paper,stopping for the odd pull when I fancy.

Not in my experience they're not. These days the vast majority of tradesmen i work alongside are working on day rate, often for agencies. It has been this way for at least 7 years now. So you see, my observation is not superfluous at all. Anyone stopping for a cuppa or a ciggie when not on an official break are wasting working time. Simple.

I recall someone coming round to look at my central heating many years ago. He had a fag in his mouth the whole time and it had all burnt away by the end of the visit. I was mesmerised.

If someone reeked of fags, I would score against them.

Archived