Smoking tradesmen. Would you employ one?

I am wanting a room papering and rang a few local tradesmen to quote. One guy arrived absolutely reeking of tobacco. I had to leave the windows open after he left.

It just made me think that I would rather get someone else to do the job as the dust sheets and everything else from the van is going to stink my house out.

I'm sure I'm not alone in hating the stink of tobacco and wonder how much it disadvantages tradesmen who smoke.

It doesn't mean he will do a better job than anyone else either. So as I'm paying the bills I will employ who I choose. I don't see why I should pay to have my house stunk out. There is no guarantee that when I'm out of my house the decorators won't light up and drop fag ash on my carpets.

I'm a 64 year old who hasn't touched a cigarette for 15 months, but with all the sharpening of my senses I still can't smell cigarettes on people. :confused:

I smoke. I smoke a pipe - and I smoke it outside. At one time I smoked cigarettes and they did tend to stink up the house - so I stopped smoking them in the house (more than 30 years ago.)

You could always tell the tradesman not to smoke in the house and you could tell him that the requirement not to smoke in the house is a condition of the contract.

Alternatively - if you've got a thing against people who smoke - you could elect not to hire that tradesman and hire a drunkard or a junkie instead.

My wife is very sensitive to the smell of smoke and although she would complain (quite justifiably, IMO) if somebody smoked in our house, she has never complained that a smoker who entered the house (but did not smoke there) caused the house to smell. We've even had farters enter the house and the effect (I can certainly detect that) is hardly permanent.

Having said that, I have a house which I rented out (until February.) Unknown to me, the renters were both heavy smokers and the letting agent (who was about as much use as tits on a bull) didn't notice. Repairing the damage cost me about £4000. (New carpets - cleaning them didn't work - total re-paint and clean all the HVAC ducts.) I can tax claim the loss, but I'm still going to be stuck with a significant cost.

I've no problem with smokers coming into my house - but I don't want them smoking there.

Or farting, for that matter.

Can you remember going to the cinema …….. when the lights went down and the projector came on it was as thick as a cloud from a dry ice machine and don’t even mention upstairs on the buses. :hihi:

oh i feel old now, i remember choking upstairs on the buses, can still see the burns all over the floor on the old ones....

I don't smoke but I had a few fags in the 80's.:)

As for the OP, If the tradesman does a good job and doesn't break the law by smoking in my home, I don't care if he is a smoker or not.

I once employed a non-smoker to arrange the soft furnishings in my bedroom only to walk in on him going through my smalls while wearing a pair of my underpants over his face.:mad:

I feel physically sick just thinking about it.

Not quite. Self employed joiner if really want to know.

You have beem talking plane nonsense.I am sorry if I appear to be hanmmering home one or two joints but as an ex-smoker you seem to have had one rule for yourself and a second rule for others.Lets hope things can be levelled off.

Archived