Bomb Sites in Sheffield

pitsmoorboy

Yep - there are maps in various books and pamphlets. I'll try and find one online, or you can check surrey st.

Look under http://www.picturesheffield.com under world wars/air raid damage and there are loads of pictures (i think there were deliberate efforts by the authorities to record all the damage, hence why so many pictures).

There is a book entitled 'It's A Bit Lively Outside' by Joyce Holliday which contains a map of where the bombs landed in Sheffield.

The book was published in 1987 by yorkshire art circus in castleford.

If you can get a copy you will find it's a good read illustrated with pictures of the bomb damage and the living conditions of the time.

Hope this helps you.

Happy days!

There's a map, on the wall of the Sheaf View pub, Gleadless Road, (Heeley Bottom) which has plotted on it the sites where the bombs fell on sheffield.

I wonder if it's the same map as is referred to in the previous post by nimrod?

Not sure if it's blitz specific. bit it's definitely a map, and it's definitely a map of the bomb strikes

PT

By coincidence I was reading a cutting from an old copy the 'Sheffield Star' newspaper last night and it reported the following.

Sheffield Blitz December 12th 1940

6 Parachute Mines, 450 High Explosives and thousands of Incendaries were dropped during the night.

On December 15th 1940 5 Parachute Mines, 100 High explosives and thousands of incendaries were dropped.

This reort if true makes the 'Bomb Maps' a little wanting in numbers.

I believe the one in the book 'It's A Bit Lively Outside' only numbers 88 bombs.

Happy Days! but bloody awful nights!

There's also a book by Alistair Lofthouse called Then and Now, the Sheffield Blitz, Operation Crucible ,that has maps of the bombs dropped. Incidentally if you go to the Local Studies Library they also have a copy of the original Luftwaffe target maps for the raids on Shefield, showing where they were actually aiming for.

The bomb map is pretty acurate, but only shows high explosive bombs and land mines, it would be impossible to record all the incendiary bombs as these were dropped in huge numbers, they were very small, about nine inches in length, but contained phosphorous making them burn intensly.

My maternal family come from Retford, Notts and my grandma took the kids out of the house to shelter on the night of the big airraid on Sheffield. She always told me that the sky 'lit up like daylight' and they could see poor old Sheffield getting hammered from all that way away. They used to see/hear the bombers coming over Retford to get to Sheffield, following the canal, river, railways

I remember many of the bomb sites were still visible even in the 70s when I was a kid and my dad pointing out where chimneys had had new brick work on top. He was a child in Sheffield during the war and he used to point out craters up on the moors where they'd missed...

Archived