Bomb Sites in Sheffield

pitsmoorboy

There is also a German map in the Local Studies Library of where the intended targets for Sheffield were. Apart from the steel industry and factories, they were also aiming for hopitals and other shelters.

It's interesting to match it up with what they ended up bombing.

Originally posted by Bookmaster

Lots of people think that the small pits often found in woods around Sheffield (eg Ecclesall Woods) are the remains of bomb craters but most of them are white-coal pits from the 16th century.

Are these the charcoal burners' pits, refered to as 'Q' pits Bookmaster?

PopT

By coincidence I was reading a cutting from an old copy the 'Sheffield Star' newspaper last night and it reported the following.

Sheffield Blitz December 12th 1940

6 Parachute Mines, 450 High Explosives and thousands of Incendaries were dropped during the night.

On December 15th 1940 5 Parachute Mines, 100 High explosives and thousands of incendaries were dropped.

This reort if true makes the 'Bomb Maps' a little wanting in numbers.

I believe the one in the book 'It's A Bit Lively Outside' only numbers 88 bombs.

Happy Days! but bloody awful nights!

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but i really need to get a copy o this map, printed, scanned or photographed.

Does anyone know where i can actually get one? does anyone have a one they can copy?

Yep - there are maps in various books and pamphlets. I'll try and find one online, or you can check surrey st.

Look under picturesheffield under world wars/air raid damage and there are loads of pictures (i think there were deliberate efforts by the authorities to record all the damage, hence why so many pictures).

There is a book entitled 'It's A Bit Lively Outside' by Joyce Holliday which contains a map of where the bombs landed in Sheffield.

I have been in a stage production of 'It's a bit lively outside'. It is a very good portrayal of the Sheffield Blitz, as before Mrs Halliday wrote the book, the public were asked to submit their blitz memories. It is well worth reading.

Archived