Bomb Sites in Sheffield

pitsmoorboy

Yes it was a close call for many people. My brother was on the afternoon shift on Bridge St. All through the raid my mother was worried stiff about him, but when she heard his clogs on the side-path, about 5 am, she said it was the most wonderful sound she'd ever heard!..It was a while before he told us about the deaths.

JOGI, heres a link to their website

http://aeroventure.org.uk/

Its a good 45minwalk from the railway station, best catch a bus. The museum is located behind Asda and the Dome, and behind the old Doncaster Rovers football ground. I'd guess its about a 20 min walk from the racecourse.

Heres a link to multimap, the museum is on Dakota Way which isnt named on most online maps. Dakota Way is one of the un-named roads between Sandy Lane and Gliwice Way. Strangely, the postcode on thier website appears to be wrong which dosent help when trying to find it on multimap.co.uk

The museum is really a wharehouse with obsolete aircraft, and I believe is about to lose much of its funding from the council so they need support. They have a few chopped off cockpits that you can climb into. My 3yr old son enjoyed sitting in them.

Its by no means a modern museum, but worth a look if that you have young kids or have an interest in aircraft.

The map of bomb sites is located in the long wooden hut with the glass displays.

There is a string of craters in Geno Woods that run in line with Penistone rd that we used to play in (around mid 60s). An old local told us they were made by bombs dropped to lighten German aircraft on their way back from the Sheffield raids.

First Job - the misadventures of two 70s Sheffield lads at http://www.birkett.yolasite.com

There's also a book by Alistair Lofthouse called Then and Now, the Sheffield Blitz, Operation Crucible ,that has maps of the bombs dropped. Incidentally if you go to the Local Studies Library they also have a copy of the original Luftwaffe target maps for the raids on Shefield, showing where they were actually aiming for.

they must have been lousy at aiming then as one huge bomb hit opposite the house my folks lived in, it was a spare ground for years & i think still is?

There is a string of craters in Geno Woods that run in line with Penistone rd that we used to play in (around mid 60s). An old local told us they were made by bombs dropped to lighten German aircraft on their way back from the Sheffield raids.

First Job - the misadventures of two 70s Sheffield lads at http://www.birkett.yolasite.com

the crates in the woods, Bonj:- are you sure they aren't the remnants of the charcoal-burning pits, rather than bomb-craters?

Hi BB. Thanks for your memories. Firstly, what happened to Henry Matthews. It's a name I'd completely forgotten about. Also I remember Wilson Gumperts as a kid, (a toy shop was'nt it?) but can't think where it was. Do you remember this spot after the war. It was between Marples blitzed site and Change Alley. The area had been cleared and some huts had been put on there to serve as shops. I also remember next to Marples, in Fitzalan Square, Fisher Sons & Sibray. They sold garden plants etc. and I believe they had a nursery locally. Cheers.

hiya jogi, i remember wilson gumpert's shop in fitzalan square (yes it was a toy shop) the flower shop was next door, had a thought the flower shop later became a dry cleaners, next to marples was a very small sweet,paper shop at some time,on the other side next to the i think elephant pub was a bakery shop.it was in the middle between marples and not change alley but the bottom of norfolk street, also do you remember the girder work on the odeon site which i thought was bomb damage but i found out later it was a building project that stopped due to the war . cheers

Yes it was a close call for many people. My brother was on the afternoon shift on Bridge St. All through the raid my mother was worried stiff about him, but when she heard his clogs on the side-path, about 5 am, she said it was the most wonderful sound she'd ever heard!..It was a while before he told us about the deaths.

hiya there is a very good book of the sheffield blitz it contains some very good photo's of the damage that was caused,also a map inside pinpoints where the bombs fell, also the names of the people who died where thay lived and where they died when i find the book i'll make sure i print it here(,it was called blitz or sheffield blitz.)

ps i don't think that all damaged houses and other properties were bomb damage as we at my age thought, before the war there was a lot of slum clearance going on, the house i was brought up in was condemed in 1934, but they weren't cleared untl 1961. hiya have just found the book of the blitze in sheffield it is called the sheffield blitze by paul license a star publication

Archived