Ambleside School Fulwood - Any info please

Wasn't Ambleside an infant school from which most went onto Birkdale? An old childhood friend and his younger brother both went to Ambleside and then onto Birkdale, finishing up at Repton. Last I heard of them they were long term unemployed and sharing a council flat on the Manor :roll:

I was at Ambleside 1952-1954 Miss Foot was headteacher and Mrs. Staves was my teacher. The desks spanned the room with an aisle up each side of the wall and we sat on long benches. We wore a maroon uniform. Quite a strict regime. Pupils started at nursery age and went on until 11+

I was there for a year in 1957 prior to going to Nether Green school. Goodness knows why I went there as my parents certainly didn't have the money for private education such as Birkdale and Repton.

Didn't we have to wear blue jackets or something similar?

Ambleside was also my first school before going to Hallam Juniors. I remember a spiral staircase and a big tree in the back garden that we used to play in - it only recently got cut down as well.

The front is now these flats.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.36833,-1.528332&spn=0.000778,0.003195&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=12.501051,35.595703&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.36833,-1.528332&panoid=uxtD1CqTgeDQ4cfX16uI0w&cbp=12,111.36,,0,-3.21