Ambleside School Fulwood - Any info please

I went to Ambleside, or Miss Foot's as it was also referred to, from 1959-1961 (two school years). My brother went from 1961-1962. It was a preparatory school for children who might go on to private education. I can remember a cupboard where they kept the biscuits, which were brought out at break time. We had a glass of milk, and I always chose a Jammie Dodger. The cupboard was facing you as you entered the room.

Miss Foot was a small, chunky woman if I remember correctly, possibly with thinning hair scraped back in a bun? She always wore dark clothes, and probably appeared quite scary to us small children, but I know from my mum that she was a kind lady. For registration each morning, we sat cross-legged on the floor in (what seemed like) the huge room. I can't remember any other rooms.

My parents took me out of there in 1961 to join Mrs Jones' class, Infant 2, at Nethergreen school. My brother left in 1962 to join Mrs Baker's class, Infant 1 at Nethergreen. I found out in later years that my mum and dad had decided that they could not afford for both my brother and I to have private education, so we both had the benefit of early years' learning at Miss Foot's and then moved on.

My mum now says she regrets taking us (me in particular) out of Miss Foot's and missing an education at, possibly, Sheffield Girls' High School. She thinks I went off the tracks a bit when I went to High Storrs! I was fine for my first two years there when it was the girls' grammar school, but it went comprehensive in my third year.. and I discovered boys! I suspect it was my hormones which let me down, not the education system!

Any other teachers u remember?

At Nether Green, I think there was Mr Walsh PE, Mrs Poznanskji (Spelling?) Mr Courage, Headmaster, Mrs Delany, not sure about any others, I also remember taking 3d to spend in the sweet shop, 1d home made ice lollies, and 4 black jacks / fruit salad for a 1 penny, which was just below what is now the Lib Dems office, there was also a cobblers I can still smell the leather when i pass.

Which teachers do you recall?

At Nether Green, I think there was Mr Walsh PE, Mrs Poznanskji (Spelling?) Mr Courage, Headmaster, Mrs Delany, not sure about any others, I also remember taking 3d to spend in the sweet shop, 1d home made ice lollies, and 4 black jacks / fruit salad for a 1 penny, which was just below what is now the Lib Dems office, there was also a cobblers I can still smell the leather when i pass.

Which teachers do you recall?

I think Mr Herring was the headmaster when I started, then Mr Courage. Was Mr Manterfield the deputy head? Others I remember (some already mentioned) ... Mrs Baker, Mrs Jones, Mrs Poznanski, Mrs Wood. Separate playgrounds for boys and girls. Slipper bags and your own coat peg. Warm milk. Smelly school dinners (I went home because I lived next door!). Houses were Eagles, Falcons, Hawks and Kestrels, not sure which were red, blue, and yellow but I was in Kestrels and they were green. (When I went to High Storrs, in the third year, I was in Hoffman House, and that was also green). In one year, J3?, my classroom was in the prefab at the bottom of the grassed area where we had sports day.

The sweet shop was Jeffersons, and I can still remember the smell of leather from the cobblers too! The now lib dem office was a builders yard.

I've had a quick look on google streetview, and I'm sure the Ambleside school building is still there. Wasn't it one of the two houses adjacent to the garage? I know there are flats on the other side, but perhaps someone else can remember the exact building the school was in.

On the Sheffield pictures website, there's a picture (s15974) of Nethergreen looking down at the junction of Fulwood Road/Nethergreen Road, and in the background, those houses are there, but it also shows the flats, so now I'm confused. I'm sure there weren't that many houses on that particular stretch, so what was there before the flats?

I think Mr Herring was the headmaster when I started, then Mr Courage. Was Mr Manterfield the deputy head? Others I remember (some already mentioned) ... Mrs Baker, Mrs Jones, Mrs Poznanski, Mrs Wood. Separate playgrounds for boys and girls. Slipper bags and your own coat peg. Warm milk. Smelly school dinners (I went home because I lived next door!). Houses were Eagles, Falcons, Hawks and Kestrels, not sure which were red, blue, and yellow but I was in Kestrels and they were green. (When I went to High Storrs, in the third year, I was in Hoffman House, and that was also green). In one year, J3?, my classroom was in the prefab at the bottom of the grassed area where we had sports day.

The sweet shop was Jeffersons, and I can still remember the smell of leather from the cobblers too! The now lib dem office was a builders yard.

I think Mr Herring may of been head when I started in 1965, do remember having to get permission to climb over the wall to the river to retreive a ball, jumping up and down on the benches in the shed in the boys yard, chanting Zigga, Kagga, Zigga, zigga oi oi oi, the long walk up to Hallam fields for outdoor PE.

I was also a kestrel, but moved to High Storrs into Catcliffe. Never had the joy of the prefab classrooms.

I've had a quick look on google streetview, and I'm sure the Ambleside school building is still there. Wasn't it one of the two houses adjacent to the garage? I know there are flats on the other side, but perhaps someone else can remember the exact building the school was in.

On the Sheffield pictures website, there's a picture (s15974) of Nethergreen looking down at the junction of Fulwood Road/Nethergreen Road, and in the background, those houses are there, but it also shows the flats, so now I'm confused. I'm sure there weren't that many houses on that particular stretch, so what was there before the flats?

No, Ambleside was knocked down and the flats built in its place.

Not sure if this works but these are the flats on Google Streetview