How do I find the cheapest train tickets?

I want to travel on the train from Sheffield to London and back for a day out in the next couple of months. There will be me and a 15 year old. We are flexible on dates.

I have been looking at different train ticket sites to find the cheapest tickets but they all insist that I specify a date in order to search. To find the cheapest date this would mean me doing dozens of searches. One for every day. I would rather search by cheapest ticket. Does anyone know of any sites where I can search this way?

Thanks.

I want to travel on the train from Sheffield to London and back for a day out in the next couple of months. There will be me and a 15 year old. We are flexible on dates.

I have been looking at different train ticket sites to find the cheapest tickets but they all insist that I specify a date in order to search. To find the cheapest date this would mean me doing dozens of searches. One for every day. I would rather search by cheapest ticket. Does anyone know of any sites where I can search this way?

Thanks.

From my dealings on the train sites I have found that all sites request a date of travel before bringing up the costs.

They need a date to be able to give you the cheapest priced tickets!

generally speaking the further in the future you book a ticket the cheaper it is, which is why they need a date.

however, there are occasional promotions which are advertised separately, your best bet to find them would be to look at the web sites of the train operating companies which run between sheffield & london

Don't use the trainline.com, they will add booking and card fees.

Book through Eastmidlands Trains website, no booking or card fees and there's £1 discount by booking their trains online.

Midweek is usually the cheapest time to go, avoid Sunday's, that's when engineering work is done and services can be cancelled or re routed.

look on this site:

http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/

where it asks you to enter your stations, to the right there are some drop down arrows for the leaving and returning dates. enter your stations and then click on the 'going' drop down box and at the bottom there's an "i'm flexible" option, which will bring you all the train times and prices. click on the monthly view tab and see the prices/times for the next few months.

dont know why other train sites dont do this tbh, its great for if your planning a random day out on a budget!

Archived