The Dog and Partridge, Trippet Lane

According to the Punch Taverns (spit!) website The Dog and Partridge is available as a "business opportunity" if you are willing to pay their rents and beer prices.

The blurb reads

"Going forward the Dog & Partridge may continue to operate as an Irish pub, however there is scope to introduce a new offer. If a new style of venue is to be introduced the vision and marketing strategy will need to be clear and strong to be successful. There is an opportunity to develop a simple food offer once the kitchen has received some improvements."

Oh! that's just the kind of corporate <removed> that paves the way toward another gem of Sheffields cultural history to be stripped out. The D+P is not an "Irish Pub", its a pub in which Irish people living in Sheffield have often frequented. I dearly hope we don't end up with a 'contempory but traditional gastropub serving locally sourced sausages, pizzas baked in clay ovens, alongside <removed> Thornbridge beers, with candles on the tables and Pete McKee prints all over the walls!

Edited by Andy
Removed masked swearing

Oh! that's just the kind of corporate b******s that paves the way toward another gem of Sheffields cultural history to be stripped out. The D+P is not an "Irish Pub", its a pub in which Irish people living in Sheffield have often frequented. I dearly hope we don't end up with a 'contempory but traditional gastropub serving locally sourced sausages, pizzas baked in clay ovens, alongside f******g Thornbridge beers, with candles on the tables and Pete McKee prints all over the walls!

you describe all that is bad about Thornbridge pubs - and I'm agreeing with you 99% - the only thing is, Thornbridge beer is excellent - and that's quite important too for a pub.

I think the Dog & Partridge would make a great venue for a Gay bar. I don't think there are many on that side of town and it would be a bit of a twist on locally sourced sausage.

Oh! that's just the kind of corporate b******s that paves the way toward another gem of Sheffields cultural history to be stripped out. The D+P is not an "Irish Pub", its a pub in which Irish people living in Sheffield have often frequented. I dearly hope we don't end up with a 'contempory but traditional gastropub serving locally sourced sausages, pizzas baked in clay ovens, alongside f******g Thornbridge beers, with candles on the tables and Pete McKee prints all over the walls!

Don't forget the obligatory silly trendy name. D@P or Dihu or Toja or Wawa or other such garbage.

I popped into the grapes a few weeks back and it appears that they now have the business and even the image from the dog and partridge, Even the JFK themed room and guitar blokes too.

What's the significance of the JFK theme?

What's going on, it looks like someone has gone to great lengths to ruin the dog and partridge?

It's a great improvement to the grapes though, I'd previously avoided the place owing to a bad pint about 2 years ago, even the beer was nicer.

I popped into the grapes a few weeks back and it appears that they now have the business and even the image from the dog and partridge, Even the JFK themed room and guitar blokes too.

What's going on, it looks like someone has gone to great lengths to ruin the dog and partridge?

It's a great improvement to the grapes though, I'd previously avoided the place owing to a bad pint about 2 years ago, even the beer was nicer.

J.F.K was/is held in high esteem by many Irish people, due to his Irish/Catholic roots.

He was the first (and only) Irish-American president and the first (and only) Catholic president so a bit of a heroic figure to Irish people of a certain generation, plus he made a very famous visit there not long before he was killed. A lot of my elderly relatives remember the day he died as being a very, very big deal for the Irish/Catholic community in Sheff.

To be fair after hearing how the pub company treated the ex landlady I hope she continues to thrive in the Grapes. It will be a shame to see the dog go, but it ought to serve as a salutary lesson to Punch.

To be fair after hearing how the pub company treated the ex landlady I hope she continues to thrive in the Grapes. It will be a shame to see the dog go, but it ought to serve as a salutary lesson to Punch.

But it won't be a salutary lesson to Punch, because they couldn't care less that a once thriving pub has gone downhill. They'll still get their rents and their beer money and if the pub closes they get some lovely prime real estate to flog off for flats.

But it won't be a salutary lesson to Punch, because they couldn't care less that a once thriving pub has gone downhill. They'll still get their rents and their beer money and if the pub closes they get some lovely prime real estate to flog off for flats.

But you can only sell off a pub once. I can't stand Punch Taverns business model either, but they need to continue to find people willing to pay their extortionate rents and wholesale beer prices, so why would it be in their interests to close a pub down?