The World - Better Without Any Religion.

The World -A Better Place Without Religion?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. The World -A Better Place Without Religion?

• YES
    • NO

I would really like to be able to have an adult discussion with a true believer about their faith without it turning to bickering.
An adult discussion with someone who believes in an all-knowing, all-seeing mythical super-being. Do you think that's going to be a productive use of your's, or anyone's, time? Just asking.

An adult discussion with someone who believes in an all-knowing, all-seeing mythical super-being. Do you think that's going to be a productive use of your's, or anyone's, time? Just asking.

You can be an adult and deluded, confused, or just plain wrong!

The only Religion you should all follow is... Jedi! Think about it, Jedis get alll those cool Force powers, and I for one look great in black! :D

Err Rich. Isn't it the baddie Jedis who dress in black? ;)

My immediate response would be yes, but I'm pretty sure that bigots will always be bigots no matter what platform they use to oppress and try to control others.

If there were no religions, they would probably have something similar like "self help" groups or some other group which on the surface seems like a "helping" group but underneath it all is about control or manipulation.

This seems to me a flawed view of how people and societies work.

There isn't a predetermined amount of bigotry out there in individuals or societies which will come out regardless. People aren't completely plastic of course and we do have an inbuilt tendency to think in 'in group/out group' terms but some cultures exacerbate this tendency and some minimise it.

Amongst the common cultural forces which can exacerbate any tendencies to bigotry is religion.

• If you go to great effort to teach children that homosexuality for example is sinful then you will tend to produce homophobes.
  • If you teach children that women are inferior to men and amongst other things inherent Eve's guilt for leading Adam astray you'll tend to produce misogynists.
  • If you teach children that Jews are 'Christ killers' with Christs blood upon them then you will tend to produce anti-semites.
  • If you teach children that yours is the one true religion, that all others are not merely mistaken but dangerous and wicked then you will tend to produce intolerant people.

There would of course still be bigots in a world without religion there would however be fewer bigots.

Reminds me of the quote 'if you could reason with religious people, then there would be no religious people'.

As for the OP, yes, I think the world would be a little better without religion, I don't see it happening anytime in the next century or two at least though.

I just want one of them to explain to me WHY they believe what they believe, I've never had a straight answer yet! They always go on the defensive and start getting abusive!

You can be an adult and deluded, confused, or just plain wrong!

...this statement is probably one of the reasons none of the religious want to discuss their views.

There would of course still be bigots in a world without religion there would however be fewer bigots.

Most likely, yes.

Archived