Scaremongering.. Is there too much of it on TV?

I am talking about programs like 'Cowboy Builders' on channel 5 and 'Help My House Is Falling Down' on channel 4.

I have noticed over the last few years that scaremongering is becoming more and more apparent.

Tonight i watched an episode of cowboy builders and some of the things they claimed simply were not true (IMO). At one point Melinda Messenger said the roof joists were not supported enough and hinted that this could cause a collapse, even though they were supported the same way joiners/roofers have been doing it for years.

Sarah Beeny takes property owners to test facilities to show them what 'could' happen if the most extreme weather ever known hits their house. While what she says might be true, a lot of it would take decades to happen, if it happened at all. The tests done are completely rigged. The one with the strength test on the rotten joist (which they had conveniently sawn through without mentioning it), was laughable.

It seems the program makers are getting desperate and are not scared to say anything no matter how wrong or unlikely it may be.

Have you seen any of Richard Hammond's 'science' programs? I can't believe these things are presented as though they're nuclear science. There were kids telly progs in the seventies that were less patronising and more informative!

As for the progs you've mentioned - if they didn't recap before and after every set of adverts (and Hotel Inspector is another culprit of this) they'd have a watchable program for half an hour instead of repeat after repeat stringing out for an hour. We record any of those now and ffwd so they DO only last half an hour :P

I guess the forum stopped responding for you as well :)

I haven't watched any of that series. I liked the idea of the series but Hammond is as thick as pig do-do and tries to make up for it by using over blown expressions and massive smiles. Those programs should be left to intelligent people like Brian Cox.

The recapping does my head in. That is why i tend to record everything these days so i can fast forward through the recaps. Why would we want to know what is coming next? We are watching it for gods sake! Why would we need a recap of what happened before the 3 minute break? :rant:

maybe we're not supposed to actually watch anything from start to finish - you're supposed to channel hop in the ads and find more car crash tv to watch, so you'll need the recap on the thing you joined in the middle of

I blame vTech myself - toys which teach kids nothing but instant gratification. No real interaction, just push the button and get a noise back instantly

All TV programmes are either house buying/renovation programmes (where the couple have no intention of buying but are desperate to get their ugly mug on TV), antiques programmes, cops and robbers programmes, cowboy programmes or adverts. In other words, it's cheap and nasty TV, made for cheap nasty and people by cheap and nasty programme makers.

I think we all know what type of people are on these programs.

My problem is with the scaremongering though. It goes from hinting that an entire house could fall down to telling complete lies about workmanship.

I am talking about programs like 'Cowboy Builders' on channel 5 and 'Help My House Is Falling Down' on channel 4.

I have noticed over the last few years that scaremongering is becoming more and more apparent.

Tonight i watched an episode of cowboy builders and some of the things they claimed simply were not true (IMO). At one point Melinda Messenger said the roof joists were not supported enough and hinted that this could cause a collapse, even though they were supported the same way joiners/roofers have been doing it for years.

Sarah Beeny takes property owners to test facilities to show them what 'could' happen if the most extreme weather ever known hits their house. While what she says might be true, a lot of it would take decades to happen, if it happened at all. The tests done are completely rigged. The one with the strength test on the rotten joist (which they had conveniently sawn through without mentioning it), was laughable.

It seems the program makers are getting desperate and are not scared to say anything no matter how wrong or unlikely it may be.

Be careful as it seems that what they think are dodgy joists are considered acceptable to yourself.This implies that you share the same standards as the cowboys.And if you disapprove of such programmes why do YOU watch them?

I never said i disapprove of them. I am only taking issue with the scaremongering that is going on.

I am pretty confident that most roof joists are fastened to the sole plates of most peoples houses using nails, just like in the episode i detailed above. Every so often we are asked to use joist clips but not very often at all.

'They' (i presume you mean the program makers), didn't question the joists. Just the way of fixing them. Admittedly the way the roof structure was fastened at each end was very poor but the there was nothing wrong with the way the joists were fastened to the sole plate.

your right there is far too much scare mongering on telly and the media in general.we already knew the papers were spinning a story now we know that the tv is not always giving the full facts.I think the general public(hopefully) are more savvy than they use to be.Hopefully we will not all rush to war just because colonel blimp tells us we really ought to.

I fear everything because of TV. I also have now taken to recapping in my life. I do it in conversations.

Me: hello

friend: hello

Me: I said hello and you said hello back, lets see what happens next

friend: Why did you do that?

me: why did I do what?

Friend: you repeated what had just happened!

Me: Trouble is brewing, Lees friend is asking lots of questions about his conversational techniques. This could get interesting.

Archived