Should there be a media blackout of Breivik's court statement?

The Norwegian terrorist has said he will explain the reasons why he committed the atrocities today during his first court appearance, the judge hearing the case has to decide whether to allow media access to the hearing.

Whilst I would love to know his reasons why, it is clear that this is something he had planned to do from outset and he will have a well prepared statement intended as a rallying call to the far right and other white nationalists.

Norway prides itself on it's liberal attitudes and access to free speech so the other argument is that banning the media 'mystifies' Breivik and actually provides more sympathy for his cause.

What do others think?

I thought it said on the Wright Stuff this morning it was going to be held in camera.

The BBC article still says "judge to decide whether to be held behind closed doors" ... but the article could be out of date. Or the Wright Stuff could have been the Wrong Stuff.

The Norwegian terrorist has said he will explain the reasons why he committed the atrocities today during his first court appearance, the judge hearing the case has to decide whether to allow media access to the hearing.

Whilst I would love to know his reasons why, it is clear that this is something he had planned to do from outset and he will have a well prepared statement intended as a rallying call to the far right and other white nationalists.

Norway prides itself on it's liberal attitudes and access to free speech so the other argument is that banning the media 'mystifies' Breivik and actually provides more sympathy for his cause.

What do others think?

No blackout

Yes it will give this monster a platform but he needs to be seen in public for the monster he is.

What is far right? to me is bnp nazi etc. I think after this its going to be Thatcher voters.

Silencing him in court will just make him a martyr in some people's eyes. It's best he's allowed to speak his stuff in the interests of open justice and he's not going to convince anyone of his views who didn't already hold extreme right wing views.

In fact revulsion at his actions may actually make some right wing extremists reconsider their views.

Archived