Security Questions?

What do others think of the security questions that companys on the phone need to go through before they will talk to you?

The vast raft of questions needed to be able to talk to a telecoms or utilities supplier drives me mad...do people actually try to impersonate others to discuss the others electricity bill?

And what about when WE are rung by someone and then they ask for all the security questions...when they have rung us...I dont know if they are from who they say..

I tend to refuse to answer in that sceniario.

What do you think?

What do others think of the security questions that companys on the phone need to go through before they will talk to you?

The vast raft of questions needed to be able to talk to a telecoms or utilities supplier drives me mad...do people actually try to impersonate others to discuss the others electricity bill?

Part of the fuss about the phone hacking scandal is that people got information on Gordon Brown's bank transactions by impersonating him on the phone. Awkward and annoying as these procedures are, they are there to protect us.

And what about when WE are rung by someone and then they ask for all the security questions...when they have rung us...I dont know if they are from who they say..

I tend to refuse to answer in that sceniario.

Trying to get them proving who they are is an issue, and quite amusing if you're of a mischievous mind, but remember you always have the option of saying "I'll call you back on a number I find myself".

I had one of those calls last week asking me about my "insurance claim" last December. I've had them before and they're annoying. On this occasion I went along with it. He asked me to describe what had happened.

I said I was driving along Penistone Rd behind a Circus lorry. The back doors must have been faulty because they opened and a Zebra fell out. I crashed into the Zebra causing substantial damage to my vehicle. I could tell by his tone that he didn't know whether to believe me or not. He asked if there were any injuries. I said none to me, but I was taking two Ostriches and a Gibbon to the vets for their booster jabs and they all sustained whiplash injuries.

The penny dropped with him, but respect to him he went along with it. He then asked for the contact number of the insurance company so he could get further details. I proceeded to reel of a number so long he eventually put me on hold. I heard the click and when he came back I continued with the number. He then asked me to repeat it to see if he'd got it right. I reeled off another massive number. He put me on hold again. When he came back I continued with the number and then I said, extention 435 and ask for Mary.

I was quite entertained for a while....

This is the only way to beat the spamers. If you get an email asking for your bank account details reply and make one up. If everybody did this they'd have millions of emails to deal with and the whole system would collapse...

I can quite understand when you are ringing your bank or doing anything else of a financial nature changing details etc or asking for any personal data held...

but when you are just ringing with a general query I think its galling to be asked so many security details ...it takes longer than the query and surely serves no purpose.

One letter that I had recently that I had to ring about ...There was so many questions verifying who I was ,I said to the guy "all the questions you have asked are on this letter,so if anyone had got hold of the letter they would have had all the info to impersonate me" he couldnt give a satisfactory answer to that

I think the world is out to get you.

No one else ever gets asked those questions:suspect:

the amount of questions i got asked recently when i rang up santander to change something on my account and i needed a telepin number thingy was frightening, it really was a nightmare getting through, finding the right bit, getting through to areal person and then got asked about 400 questions.

the scariest bit was when they asked what my most recent cash withdrawl was and where, i dont have the best of memories at the best of times lol

the thing i find worrying most about all this security is its because we could be anybody...............well how do i knowTHEY are who theyre supposed to be and im giving em all my details and secret info to :suspect:

Archived