Crazy Stunts When We Were Kids!

As youngsters in the 50s some of the things we did make me wonder how I,m still alive,it always started with peer pressure,someone egging you on or daring you to do something stupid.For instance in Wardsend Cemetery there were two bridges over the railway,black bridge and the concrete white bridge,the dare was to walk over the arch to the other side,it was about a foot wide and very high,of course being Mr smartarse I voluntered,halfway over a train passed below covering me in steam but I made it.When I think of what might have happened my skin creeps!,another time at Hillfoot at the side of the Don which was in flood we spotted a big log,the dare was to float on it to the weir jump on to the top of the weir and walk to the riverside!.Not a chance!,I floated a few yards,it turned over casting me off into the river fully clothed,I,m a strong swimmer,good job!,I made the bank and was dragged out.The next day at school some ar---e had told physco Simmons the headmaster who gave me a severe caning for daring to survive!,just a sample of the stupid tricks we did all those years ago!:loopy::loopy::roll::roll:

We used to walk down the river entered at the bottom of Kent Road and we'd follow it all the way to the bridge on Heeley bottom. The bottom of the river was all rubble, very difficult to walk on and deep in places especially after rain, there were also rats swimming in it.

We'd walk on Havelock Bridge, literally on the bridge above steam trains passing under, explain a black face to your mother!

The only things we did which were harmful would have hurt us but, no-one else, never thought of stealing, attacking or being rude to anyone apart from if someone objected to you scromping their apples then you'd wait until you were a distance away before you turned round and called 'em summat!

Archived