How not to write English

Bien il ne manque jamais de me stupéfier comment certains vont constamment sur environ l'anglais. Sûrement son ce qui vous dites pas comment vous l'orthographiez.
Can I have that in French, please?

Version française, s'il vous plaît?

:confused:

(failing that, give me the English version and I'll do a proper job). This is the reason why businesses should never use translating engines.

Why is it English snobs have to pick on others?

There is a certain amount of humour to be made from pointing out errors in a post that is offering advice on correct English.

But only a certain amount. I think we're long past that stage now. And in general, I agree with you, it's a useless activity and occurs far too often in place of any meaningful comment on a topic. It's as if people believe that pointing out a spelling mistake in someone's contribution to a debate means that everything they said must be wrong.

Back on topic: would anyone like to have a go at translating this into English?

Moore's law basically allows you to double processing power every 18 months for the same cost. This has given us a 5m x improvement in CPU processing power.

At the same time input/ouput (I/O) from disk drives has only increased by a factor of five, so there's a huge imbalance between CPU processing power and I/O delivery rates from disk drives.

The disk drive manufacturers are increasing the density of storage on the disk drives, but they're not speeding up the disk drives at nearly the same rate. So the performance from an I/O perspective is decreasing on a per gigabyte basis at the same time as CPU power is increasing.

This leads to a dramatic imbalance in terms of computational configuration of processing architectures.

Per Stephen Brobst, chief technology officer (CTO) of Teradata. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14314304

Moore's law basically allows you to double processing power every 18 months for the same cost. This has given us a 5m x improvement in CPU processing power.

At the same time input/ouput (I/O) from disk drives has only increased by a factor of five, so there's a huge imbalance between CPU processing power and I/O delivery rates from disk drives.

The disk drive manufacturers are increasing the density of storage on the disk drives, but they're not speeding up the disk drives at nearly the same rate. So the performance from an I/O perspective is decreasing on a per gigabyte basis at the same time as CPU power is increasing.

This leads to a dramatic imbalance in terms of computational configuration of processing architectures.

Per Stephen Brobst, chief technology officer (CTO) of Teradata. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14314304

What in your opinion is wrong with it?

It's turgid and one loses the will to keep reading it.

However, since you can't or won't attempt the challenge, here's my guess:

"Processing power per £ doubles about every 18 months. It's now 5 million times greater [than what?].

But disk drives give only 5 times more [what?]. Clearly, there's an imbalance.

Manufacturers have increased disk capacity but not speeds. So overall the disks' performance falls as processing power rises."

[His final sentence is beyond even me!]

It is written with clear and meaningful (accurate and recognised by persons skilled in this technical field) terms. And grammatically correct.

I really cannot see how this embodies "how not to write in English" :huh:

Now, if you were asking for a dumbed-down version, then that's a different matter altogether :P

It means exactly that. By following Moore's Law we have increased processing power by 5 million times.

Whereas hard drives haven't advanced anywhere near as fast. We can store lots of data but have no way of transferring it at speed yet.

As hard drive capacities get bigger the data transfer to data storage rate gets smaller whereas for a CPU the speed is increasing.

This causes a bottleneck.

By mentioning money in your post you've just gone to show how little you understood.

Er, dramatic imbalance in terms of computational configuration of processing architectures

is not

clear, understandable and meaningful terms!

It is.

Which term do you need help with?

Are you having difficulty understanding the meaning of the sentence?

Or would you care to demonstrate how you can better that in 10 words or less?

As I said, looks like you need a dumbed-down version ("Computational hardware evolution for Dummies"), not a rephrasing in "better" English :rolleyes:

Archived