What is your opinion on holiday timeshares?

Guest sibon
Well the way it was explained to me made out like it could be but I'm sceptical. :suspect:

I inherited some a few years ago. I looked at it very carefully and decided that it was a rotten deal, even without having to pay for the intiial purchase.

In the end, I sold it on Ebay for about 10% of the supposed value.

Save your money. Or give it to me:D

Apparently you can sell holidays to people and make a small profit. The problem is you only get a certain amount of points per year and the amount doesn't seem that impressive but the quality of the accommodation is amazing. You can also get paid for recommending people to their resort.

I know them and personally I would not bother but if it suits you then go for it.

Did they get you with a scratchcard to start with?.

The maintenance charges on most timeshares are usually as much or more than you could rent a place for anyway, and the way you are thinking about it you are also taking on a part time job.

Having said that I know people who have done that and are happy with it.

Stay away...

My parents own timeshare in Mexico and use the RCI for swapping holidays.

Bearing in mind my parents spent thousands and thousands buying the timeshare in the first place, last year we came to book a holiday to mexico.

The so called "exclusive to members only resort" was found cheaper with thompsons. As an owner, very disappointed to find "anyone" can buy the same holiday for cheaper after she had spent thousands.

now times are changing, flights to mexico are not cheap and finding it harder to holiday there - so she banks some holidays to RCI.

As her daughter, im always looking on RCI for holidays - but the exchange fee (£125 ish) plus the guest certificate (£50 ish) if i dont go with mum all add up with the cost of the flights too. Most resorts are self catering and I find that I can always get cheaper from the internet or travel agents than it would from my mums RCI membership.

My parents are looking for advise on how to sell there holidays as the way things are now - she can not afford flights and extra costs to holiday.

Never had one so I'm not really sure but I can imagine arguments around when people go. I should imagine it largely depends on the other timesharers in your group; you might join a good one where people show respect or you could join a right circle of Nesbits.

Ap

In the end, I sold it on Ebay for about 10% of the supposed value.

Save your money. Or give it to me:D

Apparently you cant even give them away, there was a program on TV where a couple wanted out but the company wouldn’t even take it back for free, why would they when they are taking maintenance costs off people that don’t even use them.

I know them and personally I would not bother but if it suits you then go for it.

Did they get you with a scratchcard to start with?.

The maintenance charges on most timeshares are usually as much or more than you could rent a place for anyway, and the way you are thinking about it you are also taking on a part time job.

Having said that I know people who have done that and are happy with it.

Yeah, it was the scratchcard thingy. The more I hear about it the less of a good idea it sounds, and at 3K up front just for the 3 year trial and then another 12K it's quite a big risk if it turns out not to be for you.

Stay away...

My parents own timeshare in Mexico and use the RCI for swapping holidays.

Bearing in mind my parents spent thousands and thousands buying the timeshare in the first place, last year we came to book a holiday to mexico.

The so called "exclusive to members only resort" was found cheaper with thompsons. As an owner, very disappointed to find "anyone" can buy the same holiday for cheaper after she had spent thousands.

now times are changing, flights to mexico are not cheap and finding it harder to holiday there - so she banks some holidays to RCI.

As her daughter, im always looking on RCI for holidays - but the exchange fee (£125 ish) plus the guest certificate (£50 ish) if i dont go with mum all add up with the cost of the flights too. Most resorts are self catering and I find that I can always get cheaper from the internet or travel agents than it would from my mums RCI membership.

My parents are looking for advise on how to sell there holidays as the way things are now - she can not afford flights and extra costs to holiday.

All those fees werent even mentioned, I only found them when I read all the small print. The fact that flights aren't included is probably the biggest downside to it all though; it's okay if you stay in Europe but if you wanted to go to South America, like you said, or Asia, you're not getting much of a bargain once you factor in the price of flights. I'm pretty much convinced it's a bad idea now and can't believe I even considered it in the first place.

Archived