Do we understand addiction?

After the sad death of Amy Winehouse I was shocked at the amount of ridiculous, pathetic, sick jokes and ignorant comments from people on Facebook, Twitter and even on here!

People just refer to addicts as junkies, druggies etc. when in actual fact they don't know a thing that they are talking about.

This article from the BBC explaines how little we know about addiction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14273938

russle brand has wrote an excellent piece on amy and addiction, if i knew how to add a link to show you i would, i read it in the sun. what right has anyone to judge another?

You're right, it is excellent.

Is here.

Not all addicts have Amy’s incredible talent. Or Kurt’s or Jimi’s or Janis’s, some people just get the affliction. All we can do is adapt the way we view this condition, not as a crime or a romantic affectation but as a disease that will kill. We need to review the way society treats addicts, not as criminals but as sick people in need of care. We need to look at the way our government funds rehabilitation. It is cheaper to rehabilitate an addict than to send them to prison, so criminalisation doesn’t even make economic sense. Not all of us know someone with the incredible talent that Amy had but we all know drunks and junkies and they all need help and the help is out there.

I try to understand addiction, lived with it for many years. My dad was alcoholic. When I was a child all I could see was him ruining my life. I couldnt let any of my friends come to the house, in case they saw him.

He was also aggressive, and used to be violent. Addiction to anything is totally selfish, but that is part

of the disease. It took many years for me not to be physically sick when I saw anybody drunk.

Thank God Amy Winehouse didnt have any children, and do you know when my dad died I still cried my eyes out, bloods thicker than water.

So R I P Amy, and a lot of sympathy to your family especially your mother.

The one person to blame would be the person who started taking drugs. :huh::huh::huh::huh: I will add a few smileys as the concept seems a little beyond your grasp.

I think it's you who doesn't have a grasp!

Archived