Do we understand addiction?

I don't pretend to know anything about addiction, I couldn't begin to imagine. I wouldn't look down or judge anybody for the choices they make and get that it's a torment that people cannot "just shake off" or "pull their selfs together"

What shocked me since the sad death of Amy Winehouse is how nasty and quick to judge people can be, yeah she made bad choices, she was far from perfect but some of the comments made on SF are ruthless.

Instead of slating her maybe a bit of understanding and sympathy wouldn't go a miss.

You're right, it is excellent.

All we can do is adapt the way we view this condition, not as a crime or a romantic affectation but as a disease that will kill. We need to review the way society treats addicts, not as criminals but as sick people in need of care. We need to look at the way our government funds rehabilitation. It is cheaper to rehabilitate an addict than to send them to prison, so criminalisation doesn’t even make economic sense.

No it isn't. Miss Winehouse had the resources to seek help for her addiction at any time during her career, but chose not to. Didn't she say she was never going to give up drugs?

Maybe we ought to look at this from two separate viewpoints. It might well be true to say (of some, or most, if not all addicts) that it's their own damn silly fault they took the stuff in the first place.

However, that says nothing about how best to deal with someone once they have become addicted. Without understanding what addiction is really like, we have no hope of helping people to escape them.

All we can do is adapt the way we view this condition, not as a crime or a romantic affectation but as a disease that will kill. We need to review the way society treats addicts, not as criminals but as sick people in need of care. We need to look at the way our government funds rehabilitation. It is cheaper to rehabilitate an addict than to send them to prison, so criminalisation doesn’t even make economic sense.

No it isn't. Miss Winehouse had the resources to seek help for her addiction at any time during her career, but chose not to. Didn't she say she was never going to give up drugs?

According to this article it is, if you're referring to Brand's assertion that it's cheaper to rehabilitate addicts.

Even if it wasn't - and I haven't done any proper research on this - criminalisation is still a wholly ridiculous policy when alcohol and tobacco are legal.

People who are addicted to any drug, including tobacco and alcohol, made the decision to start taking it for some reason. That is usually peer pressure to impress their mates.

Once addicted they fall into one of the following groups

1. People who admit that they would like to quit.

2. Folks who would like to quit but say they don’t to save face.

3. Idiots.

I assume from your avatar that you are a smoker. Into which of the above categories do you fall.

Maybe the experts, that are baffled by addiction, should come to you. You seem to have it sussed ;)

According to this article it is, if you're referring to Brand's assertion that it's cheaper to rehabilitate addicts.

It's hard to imagine how rehabilitation could possibly be more expensive, since a rehabilitated addict can go back to work and pay taxes.

Indeed, a current addict could go back to work and pay taxes if he could be assured of a clean, cheap source without having to go to criminal drug rings to get it.

It's hard to imagine how rehabilitation could possibly be more expensive, since a rehabilitated addict can go back to work and pay taxes.

Indeed, a current addict could go back to work and pay taxes if he could be assured of a clean, cheap source without having to go to criminal drug rings to get it.

Well, quite. Lots of addicts work.

After the sad death of Amy Winehouse I was shocked at the amount of ridiculous, pathetic, sick jokes and ignorant comments from people on Facebook, Twitter and even on here!

People just refer to addicts as junkies, druggies etc. when in actual fact they don't know a thing that they are talking about.

This article from the BBC explaines how little we know about addiction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14273938

she promoted a lifestyle that does nothing but harm, to everyone it touches.

Archived