Do we understand addiction?

The one person to blame would be the person who started taking drugs. :huh::huh::huh::huh: I will add a few smileys as the concept seems a little beyond your grasp.

Some people, either through circumstance or personality, are far more likely to become addicts... Methinks that you struggle to accept the peaks and troughs of the human condition - Not as simple as some people *choose* drug addiction and some do not... I hope that you don't have your eyes forced open by someone close to you - Not the easiest way to learn your lesson...

In Russel Brand's article, he does make one mistake however... He states that we all know someone with a drink of drug addiction - and even though I have a reasonable sized family and quite a few mates, who also have family, I have to say I do not know anyone with a drink or drug addiction... Am I in the minority?

Some people, either through circumstance or personality, are far more likely to become addicts... Methinks that you struggle to accept the peaks and troughs of the human condition - Not as simple as some people *choose* drug addiction and some do not... I hope that you don't have your eyes forced open by someone close to you - Not the easiest way to learn your lesson...

In Russel Brand's article, he does make one mistake however... He states that we all know someone with a drink of drug addiction - and even though I have a reasonable sized family and quite a few mates, who also have family, I have to say I do not know anyone with a drink or drug addiction... Am I in the minority?

Maybe a member of your family or one of your friends has an addiction problem and you just don't know about it? Or maybe they haven't even admitted it to themselves yet?

Maybe a member of your family or one of your friends has an addiction problem and you just don't know about it? Or maybe they haven't even admitted it to themselves yet?

Nope - we're a ageing bunch, and we've no coke, smack, meth or drink addicts among us... Or any other type of addictive drug problems... May be I am unique (as it may be that someone I know knows someone themselves?)... Obviously you know someone in your life, but is it just the one person, or more?

Nope - we're a ageing bunch, and we've no coke, smack, meth or drink addicts among us... Or any other type of addictive drug problems... May be I am unique (as it may be that someone I know knows someone themselves?)... Obviously you know someone in your life, but is it just the one person, or more?

This is an interesting one. I don't know anyone who's addicted to hard drugs like the ones you mention, or any alcoholics of the type who drink spirits first thing in the morning.

But I know tens of people who have had their life severely negatively impacted by over-reliance on softer drugs and alcohol. Some borderline alcoholics, some binge-drinkers, some heavy regular drinkers who have suffered liver disease, heart failure etc in middle age. Lots of people my age (late twenties) who spent a few years not really with it through party drugs. One who basically lost his twenties to cannabis, prescription drugs and hallucinogens.

All of these people, I'd argue, are addicts - if you work from the definition of addiction as continued involvement with something despite negative consequences.

I began drinking at a young age, and I drink way too much, to the point now, it has become habitual behaviour.

Initially I began ******* my money up against the wall, after having my own family sell my possessions to finance their own addictions. The idea was to drink/smoke my wages before they did...

Archived