Why do I become invisible everytime I..

Wear my cycle helmet.

This morning for example, approaching a roundabout, roundabout all clear so I carry on signalling to go round the roundabout to the last exit(3 exit roundabout). As I enter the roundabout Mr MR2 pulls up, stops for a split second before carrying on over (from the exit opposite my entrance) looking me in the eye before proceeding to drive with inches of me over my path of travel causing me to have to stop!!

Do these people only respond to big dents being smashed into their panels? They certainly are not bothered about the prospect of killing another human being un-provoked.

If I had of carried on and he had of hit me and I died I would like to think he would have gone away for a long time. IMO it would have been pre-meditated murder!!

I have stopped cycling in Sheffield after repeated life-endangering encounters and can only conclude that drivers here really do not register the presence of two-wheeled traffic at all.

We are collectively ignoring the fact that a car is a potential lethal weapon, because every driver knows that they are not always giving their complete attention to the traffic, so I'm afraid the driver the OP encountered would probably have got away with it.

I have stopped cycling in Sheffield after repeated life-endangering encounters and can only conclude that drivers here really do not register the presence of two-wheeled traffic at all.

We are collectively ignoring the fact that a car is a potential lethal weapon, because every driver knows that they are not always giving their complete attention to the traffic, so I'm afraid the driver the OP encountered would probably have got away with it.

If someone had of killed me through an accident, then fair do's (I would be a bit miffed as I would be dead). But this guy made eye contact with me. I must admit the ones that seem to purposley want to run me down are usually men, usually angry looking driving penis enlarger cars. Where the ones that accidentally try to kill me seem to be females in little 1.0l shopping cars.

The standard of driving in Sheff is awful to say the least. New drivers should have to take a test, then resit a year later with no points of fault accidents and pass with no bad habbits. However cyclist who think traffic lights don't apply to them should have points put on there car liecence. I'd put cameras on most traffic light forget speed cameras.

The standard of driving in Sheff is awful to say the least. New drivers should have to take a test, then resit a year later with no points of fault accidents and pass with no bad habbits. However cyclist who think traffic lights don't apply to them should have points put on there car liecence. I'd put cameras on most traffic light forget speed cameras.

also think cyclists should be forced to take a proper test, some are real idiots that think road rules and laws dont apply to them!!!!

also think cyclists should be forced to take a proper test, some are real idiots that think road rules and laws dont apply to them!!!!

Agreed, I regulary see cyclist jump light, pop on/off pavements when it suits to get ahead.

I stick to the roads and act as if I was in my car (apart from filtering, which is the main reason its quicker to bike).

Wear my cycle helmet.

This morning for example, approaching a roundabout, roundabout all clear so I carry on signalling to go round the roundabout to the last exit(3 exit roundabout). As I enter the roundabout Mr MR2 pulls up, stops for a split second before carrying on over (from the exit opposite my entrance) looking me in the eye before proceeding to drive with inches of me over my path of travel causing me to have to stop!!

Do these people only respond to big dents being smashed into their panels? They certainly are not bothered about the prospect of killing another human being un-provoked.

If I had of carried on and he had of hit me and I died I would like to think he would have gone away for a long time. IMO it would have been pre-meditated murder!!

hey you are not alone! After 30 years motorcycling [i dont do it now] I had exactly the same experiences as you. my favourite was when I was riding along the main road, and a car is coming out from a side road. I know he has looked at me but not seen me cos sure enough he pulls out in front of me. and this has happened countless times.

I cycle and drive, as bonjon describes I also cycle in the same manner as when I drive, always observing the lights etc.

I find myself moaning about both cyclists and drivers in equal proportions. Merely choosing a method of transport does not make a person any more or less arrogant.

Sometimes blame depends on the perceptive of which seat/saddle one is sat in, and it's easy to imagine that it's always everybody else but ourselves at fault.

For example, last week I turned down Haugh Lane to pick up my daughter who was waiting on the right. I checked my mirrors, indicated, and pulled over when to my surprise a cyclist sped past my left hand side doing about 30 mph. As my daughter stepped into the car she said that the cyclist had shouted a lot of rude words at me. I felt a bit red-faced as I drove off, assuming I had not looked in my mirrors properly. But then, as I turned the corner and saw him disappearing into the distance, I realised that he was moving far faster than I would ever consider in a car, never-mind on a bike. I didn't see him in my mirror because he wasn't there, not because I didn't look properly. He was simply cycling too fast round a blind corner.

There are plenty of idiots on the road. The more you drive/cycle like an idiot, the more you will find yourself shouting rude words at other 'idiots'.

Wear my cycle helmet.

Could you make this a bit clearer - is he two exits to your left?

Archived