Why do I become invisible everytime I..

I used to cycle a good 70 miles a week, but I'm not happy about doing it anymore, it ain't safe, I got run over on the pavement, and the culprit drove off. Didn't get the numberplate so police wern't interested.

Ain't worth risking your life to cycle round Sheffield. It often ain't worth working when you consider bus fares.

Might aswell sign on, do a bit of work cash in hand, take a stroll in a car free park and wait for the hyperinflation to reset the economy.

Agreed, I regulary see cyclist jump light, pop on/off pavements when it suits to get ahead.

If the only alternative is being stuck behing a diesel-chugging, fume-belching bus, of which only two will pass before the traffic lights turn red again, then hell YES, I'll take the pavement*

* (when there are no pedestrians about :suspect: )

I'm thinking of taking up cycling but am discouraged by the awful standard of drivers around our fair city. Everybody is in it for themselves and goes too fast!

It's not that bad, honestly.

I've only had three minor incidents since I started cycling 5 years ago (one incident was with a bus).

Could you make this a bit clearer - is he two exits to your left?

I read it as the car coming from 2 exits around and going straight across, the bike was already on the roundabout and going around, the car enters the roundabout anyway and drives across the front of the bike causing it to have to stop.

The standard of driving in Sheff is awful to say the least. New drivers should have to take a test, then resit a year later with no points of fault accidents and pass with no bad habbits. However cyclist who think traffic lights don't apply to them should have points put on there car liecence. I'd put cameras on most traffic light forget speed cameras.
Why should a cyclist who happens to also own a driving licence be more severely punished than one who doesnt? But I agree there should be some penalty/fine.

also think cyclists should be forced to take a proper test, some are real idiots that think road rules and laws dont apply to them!!!!
all the tests in the world arent going to change attitudes and behaviour. If someone wants to disobey the law, then they will. Only stiffer penalties (and I admit I havent thought through how to implement them) will change behaviour.

I have cheekily gone onto the pavement if it is empty a few times, and only if there are no cars coming through the lights. It is cheeky I know but the fumes stink when you have to sit with the traffic.

I stay over to the side as much as I can but I see other people cycling in the middle of the road when there is no need for them to do so. I have also noticed since I started cycling to work 3 weeks ago , that a lot of cyclists hate to be behind another cyclist and overtake you only to sit in front of me.

There are prats in cars and on bikes. Prats are everywhere. If you see me on my gimpy folding bike could you also not offer your opinion on what a prat I look OR my lack of helmet. I thank you.

If you see me on my gimpy folding bike could you also not offer your opinion on what a prat I look OR my lack of helmet. I thank you.

Tell us your normal route, and I'll try to oblige with some choice insults:hihi:;).

Archived