Why do I become invisible everytime I..

also think cyclists should be forced to take a proper test, some are real idiots that think road rules and laws dont apply to them!!!!
Yesterday morning, on my way to work, I saw an obviously experienced cyclist going up Rotherway, which is the dual carriageway link road that leads up to J33 of the M1. The road is subject to the NSL (ie. 70mph) and is clearly signed that cycles are prohibited. Not only was he not allowed on this stretch of road, but his only option at the end of this road would be to join the M1 (north or south) or proceed down Sheffield Parkway, which is also an NSL road and prohibited to cycles.

Now if that isn’t a deathwish, I don’t know what is.

If the only alternative is being stuck behing a diesel-chugging, fume-belching bus, of which only two will pass before the traffic lights turn red again, then hell YES, I'll take the pavement*

* (when there are no pedestrians about :suspect: )

I have been known to do the same when stuck behind a bus. It was either that or choke on the toxins it was spewing out.

In about 20 years of cycling i have had very few close encounters with vehicles. Had a few where stupid drivers just open doors with me having to swerve in to the middle of the road to miss them and i had one where someone in a Calibra tried ramming me off the road. It cost him a wing mirror though.

Sorry didn't make myself too clear, 4 entrances/exits on the roundabout, I had entered at one to turn right, the other guy hadn't even entered the roundabout when I had set off, by the time I was passing his entrance (opposite me) he had stopped, made eye contact with me (while I was signalling) and then set off straight accross my path.

Yesterday morning, on my way to work, I saw an obviously experienced cyclist going up Rotherway, which is the dual carriageway link road that leads up to J33 of the M1. The road is subject to the NSL (ie. 70mph) and is clearly signed that cycles are prohibited. Not only was he not allowed on this stretch of road, but his only option at the end of this road would be to join the M1 (north or south) or proceed down Sheffield Parkway, which is also an NSL road and prohibited to cycles.

Its a bit daft, although I think you can legally cycle on the NSL part of the park way, Rotherway has the sign, but the Parkway does not.

mmm.... did you mean to say "obviously inexperienced cyclist"? Cos thats what it sounds like he was. A fancy carbon bike and lycra team kit doesn't make you experienced ... all the gear, no idea .... lots of expense, no common sense ... . Most experienced cyclists I know avoid as many busy/dangerous roads as they can in favour of a backbeat route, even if it adds on a few miles. Survival and enjoyment is paramount to their cycling.

mmm.... did you mean to say "obviously inexperienced cyclist"? Cos thats what it sounds like he was. A fancy carbon bike and lycra team kit doesn't make you experienced ... all the gear, no idea .... lots of expense, no common sense ... . Most experienced cyclists I know avoid as many busy/dangerous roads as they can in favour of a backbeat route, even if it adds on a few miles. Survival and enjoyment is paramount to their cycling.

I couldn't agree with you more there seems to be an attitude many cyclists adopt that if its legal then they should do it without any sense of the risk they take often when alternatives are available. I'm often shocked at this, particularly on some of the busy roundabouts at rush hour, I often use the university roundabout as both cyclist and motorist; as a cyclist I normally dismount and use the crossings as a pedestrian because to me that is the common sense thing to do. As a motorist I'm aghast at the huge risks some cyclists will take whilst holding up the traffic flow to avoid a minor inconvenience of being safe.

I have used the university round about plenty of times but i wouldn't want to use it when it is busy. I've only ever used it later on in the evening when coming back into Sheffield from a bike ride. Park Square roundabout is a different matter. It is just as easy to go over it so i never take the risk of going around it these days.

Archived