Why do I become invisible everytime I..

Its a bit daft, although I think you can legally cycle on the NSL part of the park way, Rotherway has the sign, but the Parkway does not.
You can't cycle on any of the Parkway. There aren't signs as you enter onto the P'way because you are already within the 'cycles prohibited' zone. It's signed at the bottom of Rotherway and also at the top of the sliproads as you leave the motorway.
mmm.... did you mean to say "obviously inexperienced cyclist"? Cos thats what it sounds like he was. A fancy carbon bike and lycra team kit doesn't make you experienced ... all the gear, no idea .... lots of expense, no common sense ... . Most experienced cyclists I know avoid as many busy/dangerous roads as they can in favour of a backbeat route, even if it adds on a few miles. Survival and enjoyment is paramount to their cycling.
Common sense and experience don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Odd though, given that the reminders issued by DVLA actually use the words "tax disc" (as does the DVLA www site).

They don't say 'Road Tax Disc' do they.

Vehicle Excise Duty is what you're paying, the money goes into the general government coffers, Road Tax hasn't existed for decades.

why let it be a waste, charge all cyclists if they want to use roads simple.

Charge them nothing as they would be zero rated vehicles.

Hence a massive bureaucratic exercise that does nothing but cost money.

why should tax be free?

Related to emissions, do you even understand how the current system works for vehicles?

and insurance would be low but still required, i think home insurance only covers loss or theft not insurance for the road?

A chance to learn then as you're wrong about that.

all people including children if they want to use a road should take the test, yesa min age say ten ? or twelve, horses yes should have a minimum insurance and maybe a licence, why not seems logical..............ahh but you want it all for free though ?????

I have it all for free, there's no good argument to change it.

oh not jealous at all got motorcycle thanks and a car ....point made:P

Ermm, no, sounds like you're jealous because you have to pay. Get a bike, learn about the subject, come back when you actually know what you're talking about.

I always find cyclists a strange bunch. They drive about, un-insured on roads they don't contribute towards the cost of

Wow, you're trying hard to look stupid right?

Roads are paid for from general taxation, cyclists aren't exempt from paying income tax or VAT.

and then expect priority

I think you've got confused here, they expect priority when they have the right of way, just like any other vehicle.

because they see themselves as some sort of environmental saviour. They ignore road signs, damage cars and are generally annoying little bearded ionks...

Some might, just like some drivers do. Most behave appropriately, just like most drivers.

er last time i looked thats jaywalking not reccomended:roll: roads are for vehicles and pathways are for pedestrians:loopy:

Pedestrians are entitled to use the road, for crossing it for example, or when no pavement exists...

You might spare a thought as to how pavements are paid for as well, since pedestrians don't pay a pavement tax...

I see some braindeads have joined since I last posted. To them I say ..

Road Tax - I do pay it. Its just that some days I prefer to use a bike or walk. Are we saying if I want to use the roads, I should only drive.

what about the zero rate vehicles, or the £35 tax vehicles? Should they have lesser rights than those that pay the full rate? Should they have more rights than no-disc users?

As for 3rd party insurance, I can see a logic in this as a responsible road user. We are all ilkely to **** up at some point. I and many others are part of national cycling organisations that give 3rd party insurance and free legal aid and advice. Out of those that I know, no-one has had a 3rd party claim made against them, but many have taken up the legal aspects to make a claim against motorists, so on that balance of probability it would seem that the legal requirements for cyclists' not to need insurance is about right.

and also remember, every time I'm not using a car, I'm helping to reduce your moody intolerance by not contributing to your stress in adding to the traffic jam. Would you rather I be that one car in front that means you dont make the green light cutoff or would you rather have me glide by on my bike and be outta your way?

Archived