Is the tax on alcohol too high?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/8660893/Beer-sales-slump-by-largest-amount-in-14-years.html

According to the The British Beer & Pub Association 2 billion pints were consumed in April, May and June, a fall of 9.8pc on the same three months in 2010, a period that was boosted by World Cup fans stocking up on cans to drink at home while watching the games.

The 9.8 per cent fall is, however, the biggest quarterly fall seen in Britain since 1997, when the trade body started collecting detailed data and has hastened an already rapid decline in sales of beer, as it steadily falls from favour in many British households.

During the period, sales in supermarkets and shops fell 15 per cent and pub sales fell 4.5 per cent.

Only a couple of weeks ago, 5 people were killed when distilling vodka.

The tax on alcohol is out of control and needs to be reduced.

People need to brew their own beer, import DUTY FREE, do whatever they can to avoid paying DUTY. Stop drinking if you have to people. The government are now losing revenue when they increase the tax, as sales fall, pubs are shutting, jobs are being lost, communities destroyed.

Beer can be brewed for under 10p a pint, Vodka can be distilled for under £1 a Litre (although distilling without a license is illegal - due to risk of explosion and possibility of an uneducated person making methanol instead).

Brewing your own beer is totally legal.

Brewing your own wine is totally legal.

It'll save you a fortune.

Universal credit is supposed to encourage people to work rather than claim benefits, yet many people will have to work over 3 hours to be better off to the tune of a pint of beer in their local.

Minimum wage is taxed. An hour's work barely buys a man a pint, when you consider 12% NI and 20% tax for the poor. The situation is beyond a joke.

Universal credit is supposed to encourage people to work rather than claim benefits, yet many people will have to work over 3 hours to be better off to the tune of a pint of beer in their local.

Minimum wage is taxed. An hour's work barely buys a man a pint, when you consider 12% NI and 20% tax for the poor. The situation is beyond a joke.

I envy you and your "problems".

Ive pretty much given up drinking these days, used to go for 1 or 2 pints after work a few days a week with friends, but on pretty much minimum wage at the moment and I just cant afford it, last drink I had was a good few months ago now.

Just 5 or 6 years ago I could go out and get a pint for under £2 in pretty much every pub near me. Now your lucky to find one under £3 :(

Cutting tax on alcohol would destroy the malt whisky industry. Supermarket cheap whisky is currently around 1/3 the price of a decent malt.

Knock a fiver off a bottle of Tesco Whisky and you get the price down to £3.50. Do the same for a Glen Morangie and you drop the price down to £24.50. All of a sudden its gone from 3 times the price to nearly 8 times the price, and thousands of scottish workers will be out of a job, and the Government will just make up the tax loss elsewhere.

Surely the tax is added on at a percentage isn't it? So it wouldnt be the same amount off both, they would be reduced by the same percentage but how much that is depends on the original price.

I assume this anyway haha, I dont actually know for sure, but most tax is dealt with in percentages

Only a couple of weeks ago, 5 people were killed when distilling vodka.

Were they really distilling vodka?

According to local news reports, they were brewing a liquid with a high enough amount of alcohol to possibly blind and / or kill you and attempting to sell it off in vodka bottles :suspect:

Archived