Authentic American food in or near Sheffield?

Never been, but apparently Bodeon's does authentic BBQ . . . but it's London based. 2 1/2 hour drive for pulled pork and burnt ends?

http://www.bodeansbbq.com/_documents/takeaway_menu.pdf

Not the same, of course, but Waitrose have brought out a BBQ range that looks decent. Not tried it myself though. e.g, http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-130604-Waitrose+slow+cooked+smoked+Texas+style+beef+brisket

I've had so called "American Food" in Sheffield few years back..nothing like American at all, I also saw coleslaw in Marks advertised as American style, it had raisons in it :gag: Then I was taken to an American Bar in Sheffield, it had stuffed birds hanging from the ceiling :hihi: this is going back a few years.

Is there, or has there ever been a place to get good, authentic home-style American food in or near Sheffield?

I know all about Damon's, Frankie and Benny's and, of course, Uncle Sam's (although I can't find their menu online) but I'm not just talking burgers and fries; I'm looking for pot roasts, grits, cornbread, proper buffalo wings, all the good stuff...

Any ideas?

None of those places serve authentic American food. Its bastardised and laughable. As an American, its actually insulting they call that 'American' cuisine. What youre looking for is Soul food or southern style cooking. Unfortunately, theres no southern/soul style food in Sheffield..

Man vs Food is the programme to see what USA food is all about.

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Man_V_Food

He does do some ridiculous easting challenges (some humongous and some spicy as hell) but much of the food he tastes looks wonderful and the places he visits have been around (often in the same hands) for decades.

It's my favourite TV programme in the world and part of the reason I'm posting this thread! ;)

None of those places serve authentic American food. Its bastardised and laughable. As an American, its actually insulting they call that 'American' cuisine. What youre looking for is Soul food or southern style cooking. Unfortunately, theres no southern/soul style food in Sheffield..

I hear ya, sister! Maybe one day, eh?

Surely American food depends on what bit of America you're in, the food in San Diego is not the same as the food in New Orleans, or Boston or Phoenix.

No-one's disputing that; I'd settle for food from ANY of those places so long as it was the real deal!

Archived