Authentic American food in or near Sheffield?

Yes but - that £ 16 burger is about the cheapest thing on that menu...

(thyme cafe is not very good imo...and £ 12 is still a bit minty for some ground beef in a bap)

I love burgers Skinner. Where is the best one in Sheffield then?!

Its because its fast food. I wouldnt expect a $4 burger ($6 if you throw in fries & a drink) to taste decent.
Ya maybe your right buddy i dunno.....

All i know is back in the 80s FOOD WAS MUCH BETTER!!

I remember we always went to BK on friday nights for dinner.. MY WHOPPER WAS DELICIOUS EVERY WEEK!!

Its just so sad and disgusting the way FOOD (And most everything else) has gone in this country... (USA)

Does Mcdonalds in your country still have the original ORANGE DRINK they all used to have?

I love burgers Skinner. Where is the best one in Sheffield then?!

The only place I rate the burger is at the Cricket Inn but it comes with poor chips and onion rings (which I dont always want) and its £ 12 ish so really too expensive....

You have to ask for it medium rare as it is one of the few places they will actually cook the burgers with pink juicy middles (as they should be) and its chopped steak so the taste is pretty good.

Yankees is OK but they wont do them pink (sign of no confidence in quality of the meat) , neither will handmade burger place at Mhall (awful)

Haven't tried the Harley yet...do they cook theirs pink? I looked at their menu and frankly the variety of choices of flavours makes me nervous since a great burger shouldn't need much to go on it.

Tried swankies and didnt like it at all - too hard and oversalted.

Its hard to get a bad burger anywhere in the USA so not sure why so hard in Sheffield?

Just needs to be quality aged steak (80% meat to 20 % fat) , roughly (and freshly) minced, hand form into a ball, shove onto a red hot griddle , season , couple mins then flip , stick cheese on , cloche on , couple more mins and done. Into nice fresh bun with tomato and salad (optional).

Served in waxy paper...

Doesnt have to be a full on restaurant , this is one of the best burgers I ever had and its a weird little place tucked in the back of a posh hotel in NYC

http://www.parkermeridien.com/eat4.php

And the meatwagon gets rave reviews in London and he is just a burger van...

http://willeatformoney.blogspot.com/2010/04/meatwagon-peckham.html

£ 16 for a burger? A place like that would be open and closed in 6 months in Sheffield...

What we really need is a decent USA style diner with a bar.

Bit like Hanrahans used to be (in the good old days) mixed with a bit of Yankees...

Doing really good quality burgers with fresh ground mince - cooked nice and pink in the middle , fried chicken , chilli dogs (with meat franks instead of usual lips and a**eholes)

I should have said in my post, without the London prices.

I imagine a smoke pit is pretty costly to install but surely it would soon pay for itself.

I should have said in my post, without the London prices.

I imagine a smoke pit is pretty costly to install but surely it would soon pay for itself.

ooops - http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/may/08/jay-rayner-barbecoa-jamie-oliver

not exactly a glowing report.

My personal view is that burgers and ribs should not be quite so posh....

But neither should it be low quality food...

Just delicious , tasty , fresh and not too expensive.

Maybe if Yankees ever comes up for sale.....or if the owners are reading this - just a little more effort might really pay dividends....we went last night and it was OK but I think you are trading on the memory & location.

Does Mcdonalds in your country still have the original ORANGE DRINK they all used to have?

Ive only ever seen Fanta Orange abroad. Which is just Minute Maid Orange soda/pop. I miss Hi-C drinks (especially the pink lemonade) and would prefer them over coca cola.

Some American friends (who are sutherners!) of mine went to Southern Eleven in Manchester the other day and said it was really decent southern food. Next time we're there for an IMAX movie, are going to try to hit it up for some dinner.

http://www.southern11.co.uk/

Hope this is of some help.

Now THAT sounds promising! Thank you, I think another trip to Manchester is on the cards soon!

I took to cooking American food's myself, Sloppy joe's, buffalo wings, that sort of stuff, as my wife is American and its impossible to get authentic American food in Sheffield. There are a few American food web sites that are in england and you can buy ingredients and stuff like hamburger helper and stuff but it is expensive. My wife seems to enjoy the American stuff I cook so if all you Americans would like to pop round one day I'll russtle something up. :)

Hi there Stevie :wave:, I bet you'll never guess in a million years who this is ?? :banana::P

Archived