Methadone detox

Is it true that methadone is actually harder to give up than the heroin it replaces?

It's not harder to give up in one sense, but the withdrawal period is longer because the turnover of receptors for the NMDA receptor is slower than the turnover of receptors of the µ receptor, just like the turnover of the µ receptor (which is the standard opiate receptor) is slower than the turnover of the A4B2 receptor, which is the one that nicotine binds to.

The slower the renewal of receptor, the longer the physical dependency and the withdrawal period because the longer time passes before the number of receptors the body produces starts to produce.

The reason that methadone is used as a heroin substitute and withdrawal aid is that it reduces the physical dependency symptoms without producing the 'high' because it uses a different receptor and this allows the µ receptors to start to reduce without really bad physical withdrawal symptoms. This allows the user to address the emotional reasons for and fallout from the addiction much earlier than if they were to go cold turkey and have to face weeks of withdrawal symptoms which are, as Saffy said, pretty terrifying to face for a lot of people.

Once the heroin (which is of an indeterminate strength due to cutting and is contaminated with all sorts of other stuff) is completely replaced with very predictably 'safe' and known strength methadone for long enough for the µ receptor to reduce back down to normal levels, then the methadone can be phased out slowly. This takes more time than if you were going to phase out heroin, but hopefully the work as to why the addiction happened in the first place is already happening and is ongoing so the person is feeling more secure, has greater understanding and motivation so this is a much better controlled process than going cold turkey.

There is a huge issue that the user may feel that once they are on methadone completely and feeling fine then this will mean that they can reduce or cut out the methadone, but it's important that they stay on the methadone long enough to allow the µ receptor numbers to reduce back down to normal levels before reducing the methadone.

There's another issue that a lot of the establishment regard getting an addict off heroin and onto methadone as a success, with little attention paid to then supporting, counselling and helping the person to then come off the methadone and complete the process.

...There's another issue that a lot of the establishment regard getting an addict off heroin and onto methadone as a success, with little attention paid to then supporting, counselling and helping the person to then come off the methadone and complete the process.

I've had patients arrive taking methadone sometimes at incredibly high levels, many of which have been on these doses for many years, it's not uncommon to come across a patient taking over 100+ mils, one in particular I remember had been on an incredibly high dose for near on ten years, even though he wanted to come of it the GP/Counsellor had no plan/wish whatsoever on getting them off.:loopy:

This is not to say this is what your going to experience Rich, you've made your mind up & your determined, just be politley assertive with your counsellor & make plan that is compatable with you & the counsellor & is safe for you.

First of all i would like to offer my sincere thanks to all of you that have offered their advice and support. I knew when i posted that there would be someone who would feel the need to say something negative, it's an open forum and they are entitled to their opinion.

The reason i posted was because i really do believe that it is helpful to have the insights of people who have been in the same or a similar position. What i didn't expect when i first posted was so many people offering words of encouragement and support. I really can't tell you all how helpful it is to have so many people sending me their good wishes. I really do have no further interest in taking drugs and the only reason i started was because i was in a very dark place and didn't have anybody to turn to for support.

So once again a huge thank you for all your good wishes, it makes a huge difference when people you don't know and have never met take the time to offer their advice and support. I'm struggling to articulate into words how much that means to me but i do know it makes things easier and i will get there. I have made an appointment with my key-worker for next Monday and will take his advice.

You know what Rich, you should be so proud, I mean really proud. Use this forum as much as you need to, there are so many wonderful people on here it's you very own support network you can use to run along side every other support you have. There's always someone here, even just so you can share your thoughts, and you know the best thing about it, no one knows who you are so they never judge you.

Yeah there will always be the odd one or two that do not have any understanding, but you will get that. From my own experience with SF (not as serious as yours) they have been a tower of strength for me, and are considered extentions of my friends.

Welldone and welcome, from your hundreds of friends :):):)

I can see that some of you have a far greater knowledge of Methadone and opiates in general than i have. I was hoping that someone reading my post would have some knowledge/experience of methadone with-drawl just so i could get some idea of what was in store for me over the with-drawl period. I was only really expecting three or four replies giving me a rough idea of what to expect with may be one or two negative posts and then i thought this thread would come to an end. As i have said previously i really wasn't expecting all these messages of support and encouragement, i also certainly didn't expect to start quite such long lasting debate. Anyway as i started this thread and out of respect to all of you kind people who have sent your messages of support i shall endeavour to keep you all informed of my progress. This is all a lot more public than i was perhaps anticipating but as you have all been so helpful i feel it's the least i can do to let you know how things turn out. Monday is the next big step when i meet up with my key-worker.

I can see that some of you have a far greater knowledge of Methadone and opiates in general than i have. I was hoping that someone reading my post would have some knowledge/experience of methadone with-drawl just so i could get some idea of what was in store for me over the with-drawl period. I was only really expecting three or four replies giving me a rough idea of what to expect with may be one or two negative posts and then i thought this thread would come to an end. As i have said previously i really wasn't expecting all these messages of support and encouragement, i also certainly didn't expect to start quite such long lasting debate. Anyway as i started this thread and out of respect to all of you kind people who have sent your messages of support i shall endeavour to keep you all informed of my progress. This is all a lot more public than i was perhaps anticipating but as you have all been so helpful i feel it's the least i can do to let you know how things turn out. Monday is the next big step when i meet up with my key-worker.

Please dont try and jump at that level. The PAWS will be unbearable. Swith to Beuprenorphine (subutex) or ask for the lofexadine. But from experience do the subbies start at 16mg and drop down by 2 mg a week then jump at 4mg and switch to lofexadine.http://www.exchangesupplies.org/drug_information/the_handbooks/the_detox_handbook/detox_handbook/lofexidinedetox.html I swear by it. It is a wonder drug as far as i am concerned. The PAWS never reared its ugly head.

Good luck, I really hope everything goes well. I know not much about drugs, but do know the value of a good support network. Anything that us, as a forum can do to help and support you, let us know. From my short time on here the advise available is amazing and the contacts so valuable, keep in touch :)

Once again a great & eloquent reply; Nice one Rich, as someone as pointed out earlier, the beauty about posting on the forum is your real identity is protected, keep us all informed, whilst I don’t think it’s unreasonable to see the SF as part of your support network, so yes keep us informed, but don’t be shy to voice your concerns or if you having moments of difficulty, we’ll all be here for you mate; again GOOD LUCK. :thumbsup::bigsmile:

Archived