Too much American 'culture' in the UK?

My wife says she wishes Richard Quest of CNN's "Quest means business" would suddenly disappear.

His voice irritates the hell out of her

Is he the one with the big teeth, talks with his mouth wide open, if it's the one I'm thinking of he's an obnoxious bugger :roll:

Andy McCluskey (OMD) sums up Cowell's influence on UK music with "Simon Cowell is singlehandedly responsible for some of the most -ing awful music in the last 15 years that's been inflicted on the entire planet":hihi:

Source => http://www.spin.com/articles/exclusive-new-song-synth-pop-legends-omd

Thank you for the article.

I agree with them 100%.

Once I heard him say:

"if you say the music I produce is not good you are saying that the majority of people have bad taste, because the majority buys my music"

YES Cowell people who buy your stuff have bad taste just like you! Your taste is a disgrace, you are raping musical creation in every possible way.

And I don't get the whole X factor Christmas number one every year.

I just don't.

Who buys the CD's?

People actually queue for that.

Made me love Rage Against the Machine.

Interestingly, when I read Bill Bryson's Mother Tongue, I learned that many of the words that we associate with American English were once old English (one example being 'fall' for autumn) however, English English has evolved more.

I do dislike the creeping spelling changes we see, Sibon's tale of sulphur really wound me up! I am always bemused by the Americans' use of the word 'pry' which they use as we do 'prise'. Odd that. No doubt some smartarse will tell me why this is.

I love the parts of the States that I have seen, have always found Americans to be very welcoming and friendly. I am irked to see comments such as 'I hate the Yanks as much as the next man' - why?:huh:

As has been said (I think), some of the best TV has come out of the States. In fact virtually everything that I watch and consider to be first class top quality drama/thriller is American.

Interestingly, when I read Bill Bryson's Mother Tongue, I learned that many of the words that we associate with American English were once old English (one example being 'fall' for autumn) however, English English has evolved more.

I do dislike the creeping spelling changes we see, Sibon's tale of sulphur really wound me up! I am always bemused by the Americans' use of the word 'pry' which they use as we do 'prise'. Odd that. No doubt some smartarse will tell me why this is.

I love the parts of the States that I have seen, have always found Americans to be very welcoming and friendly. I am irked to see comments such as 'I hate the Yanks as much as the next man' - why?:huh:

As has been said (I think), some of the best TV has come out of the States. In fact virtually everything that I watch and consider to be first class top quality drama/thriller is American.

Suffragette, hi, can you use prise in a sentence, don't get that one, as for pry, you mean like to pry open a door ?

Andy McCluskey (OMD) sums up Cowell's influence on UK music with "Simon Cowell is singlehandedly responsible for some of the most -ing awful music in the last 15 years that's been inflicted on the entire planet":hihi:

Source => http://www.spin.com/articles/exclusive-new-song-synth-pop-legends-omd

You mean more so than Stock, Aiken and Waterman?

Archived