Too much American 'culture' in the UK?

Why would Americans be sick of anything like that ? Americans don't seem to lose sleep over things that Brits do, , also if a TV program or a broadway show iis good doesn't matter where it came from, if it's good it's good.

Do Brits think it bothers Americans that colour is spelt color ? NO! :D Brits are attention getters, they have to complain about other peoples life style...God knows why, Americans don't bad mouth the British life style ,like Brits do, maybe it's because theres not a pub and a chip shop on every corner over here.... although a few chip shop wouldn't be bad :D

good point, and i certainly didnt want to come across as stating a fact, just throwing out a hypothetical question.

after speaking to some americans online, alot do have the stereotypical idea that we all have bad teeth, and come from london though!

Theres ten favorite chain restaurants listed on the other thread, which ones are AMerican ?

I think the OP of that thread intentionally tried not to mention American ones for some unknown reason.

Mcdonalds, Burger King and KFC are far more prevalent than all of the names on that list, I've not even heard of some of the ones he's put down.

One thing I wish we did have here in the UK is REAL American food... I'm talking pulled pork, burnt ends, BBQ pits, red hot Buffalo wings, cornbread, pot roasts, grits... TGI Friday's and McDonald's just aren't cutting it for me! :(

We have wonderful resturants serving fresh food, who cares about chains?

Is there too much Americana on British TV? Or in society- fast food, coffee...our behaviour and language?

The French have notoriously tried (or succeeded?) on several occasions to curtail all US culture in their society, and restrict the amount of English language in their media. Were they 'right' to at least try to halt the ceaseless tide of US adverts and TV shows etc, as we in the UK receive? Or were they missing out?

Not that I have a problem with Americans per sé, nor am an ultra-Tory etc, but there does seem to be a huge amount of US culture in our society?

Or does it not matter?

Until the UK starts producing shows as good as The Wire, Justified, Carnivale, Community, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld... it deserves to lose out to US culture.

good point, and i certainly didnt want to come across as stating a fact, just throwing out a hypothetical question.

after speaking to some americans online, alot do have the stereotypical idea that we all have bad teeth, and come from london though!

That's ok. I live in California and some think we all live on the beach and surf every day. I wish! Must have watched one too many episodes of Laguna Beach. ;)

As for British TV, it's not all bad. For instance, we subscribe to the BBC channel because my car loving teenage son simply MUST watch Top Gear. He just loves that program. :)

Until the UK starts producing shows as good as The Wire, Justified, Carnivale, Community, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld... it deserves to lose out to US culture.

Maybe so plek, I just don't see the point in people getting so upset over such a silly thing like who had the best TV shows, GOD it's only TV, most of it's trash anyhow....and why do Brits get so upset when Americans copy a sitcom or whatever, you'de think they would be pleased that someone thought it good enought to use it and copy, :confused:

We have on and off switches on our TVs in the US and we know how to use them ;)

Archived