Too much American 'culture' in the UK?

Absolutely. I hate it :rant: and have done for many years. American culture is removing local culture, local creativity, local meaning for example starbucks. Our towns and cities are loosing their local identities because everywhere is the same. I visited Newcastle last year for the first time, stunning city architecturally but completely soulless. Chain bars, chains restaurants, chain cafes everywhere. It was so depressing :( and don't start me on spell check. I'm trying to change my macbook spell check from American English to real English, without much luck. And why do Americans have to redo perfectly wonderful films or TV from other countries e.g. Let The Right One In, The Killing, The Ring etc. I could keep on for ages ranting about how much I hate American culture........

Sheffield was one of the worst bleddy places to find a decent restaurant. Come to think of it there aren't any real restaurants downtown. All I could find on my last visit was a pub selling fish and chips operating out of a former bank building in the town center and another restaurant, (a Chinese one) also in a former bank building not far down from FitzAllen Square which featured a very unremarkable dinner buffet

I can only hope that things have improved since 2005

Sheffield was one of the worst bleddy places to find a decent restaurant. Come to think of it there aren't any real restaurants downtown.

you were looking in the wrong part of the city, London Road would have been your best bet.

Don't rate any of them personally.

Nonce of them? Just what do you rate then if not The Wire, Justified, Carnivale, Community, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld...

Almost all TV is pretty crappy ,TBH.

Almost all of every medium is beyond pretty crappy and actually downright awful.

One thing I wish we did have here in the UK is REAL American food... I'm talking pulled pork, burnt ends, BBQ pits, red hot Buffalo wings, cornbread, pot roasts, grits... TGI Friday's and McDonald's just aren't cutting it for me! :(

Come to my house! I will make you the best damn pot roast with jalapeno cornbread on the side you've ever eaten!

I know what you mean about BBQ pits. When I was a kid, our family used to eat at one place that was fabulous! Ribs, smoked or grilled, tri tip, burgers any way you wanted, chicken...it was wonderful! They used to bottle and sell their own BBQ sauce and I've never tasted anything as good. The owners would never part with the recipe, either.

Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives and Guy Fieri is fun to watch. Heck, you can always make the stuff at home!

Actually, the one I wish you Brits would take back home is

Oh pleeaase. It's time for her to go home now. And take her embarrassingly awful TV series with her. Sarah, I'm sorry for you. I can't imagine life in the royal family would be easy, but you blew it! Big time! At this point, who cares why? It's not about you anymore, your time has passed. Take care of your daughters, who seem like nice young ladies and let all this other stuff go. And for pete's sake, quit airing all your dirty laundry in public. You just make yourself look like even more a basket case. :)

Looks like we might be getting the ginger minger back over here pretty soon :|

Sarah Ferguson has become the latest name tipped to appear in Channel 5's first series of Celebrity Big Brother.

The 51-year-old Duchess of York would become the first Royal to ever enter the Big Brother house if she takes part next month.

Looks like we might be getting the ginger minger back over here pretty soon :|

Oh thank God! :hihi:

I realize our behavior at times can be abominable, but even by American standards, she needs to tone it down a notch. I know you need money, Sarah. But lawdy honey, rein in the spending and maybe you won't have to do these godawful TV shows. Seems like no matter what, you are always out of cash! :)

Seems like everytime the subject of food comes up McDonalds and Burger King is the only choice of fast food in Sheffield,

Too bad.

Y' all should taste the baby back ribs at the Great Chicagio Rib Company, the steaks at The Claim Jumper, the seafood at the Red Lobster and the REAL burgers with all the trimmings at Legends.

These are all chain style restaurants located in the southern California region. Hope one day that one or two of them might find their way to your area

Y' all should taste the baby back ribs at the Great Chicagio Rib Company, the steaks at The Claim Jumper, the seafood at the Red Lobster and the REAL burgers with all the trimmings at Legends.

I don't rate Red Lobster very highly, you get plenty of food but it's a bit "cheap" tasting and bland.

Do you have The Keg in the US ?

I always thought Applebees was pretty good value for money.

I wouldn't mind a better choice of fast food establishments over here. I do like McD's/Burger king and KFC but we don't have them very often at all. Maybe once or twice a year.

Some of those Harleyman mentioned sound nice. Especially the Great Chicago Rib Company

Archived