Too much American 'culture' in the UK?

Seems like everytime the subject of food comes up McDonalds and Burger King is the only choice of fast food in Sheffield,

Too bad.

Y' all should taste the baby back ribs at the Great Chicagio Rib Company, the steaks at The Claim Jumper, the seafood at the Red Lobster and the REAL burgers with all the trimmings at Legends.

These are all chain style restaurants located in the southern California region. Hope one day that one or two of them might find their way to your area

All sound good, but no where near as good as Boston Market that Buck & I have in Ct :love:

Seems like everytime the subject of food comes up McDonalds and Burger King is the only choice of fast food in Sheffield,

Too bad.

Y' all should taste the baby back ribs at the Great Chicagio Rib Company, the steaks at The Claim Jumper, the seafood at the Red Lobster and the REAL burgers with all the trimmings at Legends.

These are all chain style restaurants located in the southern California region. Hope one day that one or two of them might find their way to your area

If youre in SoCal at eating at a Red Lobster, theres something really wrong there. If youre somewhere that can get fresh fish to you, you should eat there. Red Lobster wont be serving anything fresh caught.

(I know its a topic about chains, but fish is one place you shouldnt really mess with it - unless its deep fried)

Im from the east coast, so no taco trucks, no pinks, no in-n-out either (Though when dear BF was out in cali training for work, he didnt have any in-n-out. the jerk.. he wanted to shop in Frys rather than have a hamburger. Geek)

Anyways, Id kill for some proper pizza (jut say no to frozen dough!!!) by the slice from Alitalia or Pizza Palace, fresh hot BAGELS with home made onion and chive cream cheese and some Wendys. Also Dunkin Donuts (Krispie Kremes are worthless when cold) please. Maybe Checkers too.

If youre in SoCal at eating at a Red Lobster, theres something really wrong there. If youre somewhere that can get fresh fish to you, you should eat there. Red Lobster wont be serving anything fresh caught.

(I know its a topic about chains, but fish is one place you shouldnt really mess with it - unless its deep fried)

Im from the east coast, so no taco trucks, no pinks, no in-n-out either (Though when dear BF was out in cali training for work, he didnt have any in-n-out. the jerk.. he wanted to shop in Frys rather than have a hamburger. Geek)

Anyways, Id kill for some proper pizza (jut say no to frozen dough!!!) by the slice from Alitalia or Pizza Palace, fresh hot BAGELS with home made onion and chive cream cheese and some Wendys. Also Dunkin Donuts (Krispie Kremes are worthless when cold) please. Maybe Checkers too.

Krispie creams are not served cold :confused:

The only thing I avoid like the plague is Sushi. Ate some once and was as sick as a dog for a day and a half afterwards.

I dont buy this bit about you gotta live slap bang up against the ocean to really taste good seafood. I've eaten at Fisherman's Wharf in San Franciso and very recently on the Boston waterfront. While it was overall good it was nothing to go especially crazy about.

Best fish I tasted was in Orleans, France while staying with some French friends. There was a largish supermarket there and the fish, unfrozen and unwrapped was out on a slab. We bought a bunch of it, took it to the house and cooked it up. Even without any spices added it was plain delicious.

That's what I like about the French. They're not obsessed about all this health and safety rubbish like the yanks are, deep freezing everything and wrapping it in plastic. That's guaranteed to destroy any taste of the seas.

Best seafood, lobster, crab. oysters was at Rio's in Vegas. Great big trays of lobster tails and king crab, as much as you could eat. Cost around 50 bucks a head for the buffet but it was worth every penny. Vegas isn't eactly near the sea either is it :)

I'd give half my monthly pension check for some smoked haddock. Cant find the darned stuff anywhere here. I have to take a trip to England for that treat

I don't rate anything that is on TV, mainly as I don't watch the rubbish.

We get the BBC World News here among our other news channels. I rate it as the best for overall global coverage of news events.

The other BBC channel is a load of rubbish. All they seem to show is Gordon Ramsey and What not to Wear. Sometimes there's Doctor Who also but I aint into that stuff.

The BBC World News Channel is pretty good, but World News on Shortwave is (or was - it's a while since I've listened to it) brilliant.

When Desert Shield became Desert Storm, my wife was at Kirtland AFB in New Mexico. I phoned her and said: "You may be late home tonight, the war has kicked off." She told her boss and his reaction was: "How the hell does your husband know that?" (The information hadn't got to them yet.) She said: "He just heard it on the British News" to which he replied: "How come the Brits know what we're doing before we do?"

Archived