Too much American 'culture' in the UK?

Gosh, I don't know that one. There is a difference between rednecks, hillbillies and plain 'ol white trash. You can belong to more than one group at a time, but generally hillbillies are more reclusive and more musical.

Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton and

are all hillbillies. Though Dolly Parton proudly proclaims that she is also white trash. :hihi:

Famous rednecks would be someone like Bonnie and Clyde, or Jeff Foxworthy.

Heck, even a Jedi Knight can be a redneck.

Being a redneck is more a state of mind, whereas being a hillbilly is more often based on geography. Sometimes the differences can be subtle, but they always know when someone is faking.

One things fer sure. There are NO rednecks in Boston! The Irish mafia doesn't count.

The banjo players mostly live in them thar Ozarks in Davey Crocket style cabins. A rusting Chevy pickup sitting on blocks is a must for stylish outdoor decor.

Many Americans live in what's called Mobile Homes. They are not mobile in any sense of the word. They are usually assembled in halves and transported to Mobile Home sites on very large flat bed trucks where the two haves are fixed together on a concrete slab. The water, gas and electricity supply are then installed. You'd be surpised how large they are inside. Some have three bedrooms, large living rooms, decent sized kitchens and bathrooms.

There is a mobile home site within a few miles of my home inhabited by seniors. It's well kept, quiet and landscaped.

Trailers on the other hand are those dwellings on wheels that can be moved by a truck or SUV

Some are used as weekend or holdiay accommodaton by families with regular homes or by retirees from the north- east who move to Florida for the winter to escape the cold harsh winters until spring comes.

Other trailers are permanent homes to people of less fortunate circumstances or restless type folks who cant be bothered to have all the work of taking care of a regular home and paying property taxes and just like to be here one day and somewhere else the next.

You pretty well described my house. It is called a manufactured home. It was made in a factory in Virginia, shipped to this site in two halves, placed on a concrete slab, and bolted together. Water, electicity, and natural gas had already been set up as well as a city sewer line. It has 1400 square feet of floor space, two bedrooms each with its own bedroom, decent size kitchen with a center counter, stove and refridgerator, and central air. It is better constructed than many that are built on site, never have to dust much because none can get in. We moved there from an 8 room garrison colonial with 2600 square feet and an acre of yard, 3 bathrooms, and 5 bedrooms. It was poorly constucted, and we spent a fortune on improving it. Finally, when the kids left, we sold it just before the housing bubble burst and made a fortune.:)

You just had me nearly wetting myself!! The first sentance is very much how Hollywood film writers depict the thumbless!

Over here, a 'static' caravan is pretty much static. By the way, we call 'trailers' caravans. They too can be large, most opt for 12ft X 10ft and can inhabit a family in reasonable comfort.

The view over here (I understand the older folks retirement homes deal) is that 'trailer parks' are just dumps, for people with little money and cheap places to live in all year, without moving around.

I saw a classic 'Beavis and Butthead' sketch, where they hung out with some proper lowlife types, and that white rapper berk did a whole film based around his family living in a trailer.

My eldest son just bought himself a 35 foot long 5th wheel for camping trips.

Know what a 5th wheel is ?

Is there too much Americana on British TV? Or in society- fast food, coffee...our behaviour and language?

The French have notoriously tried (or succeeded?) on several occasions to curtail all US culture in their society, and restrict the amount of English language in their media. Were they 'right' to at least try to halt the ceaseless tide of US adverts and TV shows etc, as we in the UK receive? Or were they missing out?

Not that I have a problem with Americans per sé, nor am an ultra-Tory etc, but there does seem to be a huge amount of US culture in our society?

Or does it not matter?

America almost owns the good old U.K so maybe we ought to get used to watching whoop whooping, 'Kill Your Neighbour' shows. I mean isn't Oprah the richest woman in America?

And come on, how can you say that Frasier isn't the best piece of puke tv you ever saw?

America almost owns the good old U.K so maybe we ought to get used to watching whoop whooping, 'Kill Your Neighbour' shows. I mean isn't Oprah the richest woman in America?

And come on, how can you say that Frasier isn't the best piece of puke tv you ever saw?

Meh, I preferred Cheers.

Yes indeedy - but less whoop whooping for blood on Kyles daily dose of dog poo. Springer didn't teach him much did he??

Jerry Springer's actually English apparently, he just emigrated to the US in his youth.

Archived