Too much American 'culture' in the UK?

I don't think MANY Brits do either, I think more people feel an allegiance with France than the US, 99% of Brits have never even been to the US.

What!! That's a load of gonads. How many brits watch french films, listen to french music and all that other crap they produce? As compared to the USA? I would live in the States in a heartbeat, not some rubbish country that don't even speak bloody english.

What!! That's a load of gonads. How many brits watch french films, listen to french music and all that other crap they produce? As compared to the USA? I would live in the States in a heartbeat, not some rubbish country that don't even speak bloody english.

I used to watch French movies at a little theater in Brighton as a pimply faced pubescent teenager. They were all Brigitte Bardot movies. I never wasted too much time trying to read the English sub-titles.

I used to watch French movies at a little theater in Brighton as a pimply faced pubescent teenager. They were all Brigitte Bardot movies. I never wasted too much time trying to read the English sub-titles.

Did you have flasher mac attire? :D

Did you have flasher mac attire? :D

Nope ! Greasy hair with a ducks ass at the back, short bum freezer striped Italian style jacket and tapered trousers with winkle picker shiny black shoes.

All the rage among my generation at that time and a sure bet to impress "the Birds"

but does that mean they feel an "allegiance" with the US ?

Nope ! Greasy hair with a ducks ass at the back, short bum freezer striped Italian style jacket and tapered trousers with winkle picker shiny black shoes.

All the rage among my generation at that time and a sure bet to impress "the Birds"

A teddy boy!!

but does that mean they feel an "allegiance" with the US ?

For sure, I was taught french for so long at school, and I still cannot speak a word of it. Like the rest of us. In fact, I think it put loads of brits off. Being forced to learn some joke lingo that nobody will ever use.

The US has a massive impact in the UK, from food to films and aspirations. The two french teachers we had drove 2cvs. And looked like nutters with big crackpot pebble glasses.

A teddy boy!!

Not at all. The Teds were around years earlier in the 1950-53 era. They were distingusihed by long knee length jackets with velvet collars, string ties, very tight trousers which were known as "drain pipes" and thick soled suede shoes commonly referred to as "brothel creepers"

Their hair style carried over to my generation, the Rock and Rollers, though the sideburns largely disappeared.

Brits do have this misplaced sense of allegiance with the States; I wonder if that's something to do with the reason they like it (Frasier)? Truth - stranger than fiction eh?

Many brits really believe that America, our younger bro grown big, will look after us if any nasty men turn on us!!!

Well so far since they surpassed us in power that's actually exactly what's happened.

I think most of the 'special relationship' stuff in bunk and think we should fully accept that we're part of Europe but that doens't change the fact that in WWI, II and the Cold War the US came out on our side against "the nasty men" every time and that shouldn't be forgotten or denied.

Archived