Too much American 'culture' in the UK?

Not at all. The Teds were around years earlier in the 1950-53 era. They were distingusihed by long knee length jackets with velvet collars, string ties, very tight trousers which were known as "drain pipes" and thick soled suede shoes commonly referred to as "brothel creepers"

Their hair style carried over to my generation, the Rock and Rollers, though the sideburns largely disappeared.

So! You where a rocker v mods!!

For sure, I was taught french for so long at school, and I still cannot speak a word of it. Like the rest of us. In fact, I think it put loads of brits off. Being forced to learn some joke lingo that nobody will ever use.

The US has a massive impact in the UK, from food to films and aspirations. The two french teachers we had drove 2cvs. And looked like nutters with big crackpot pebble glasses.

The French+Canadian girls were fantastic when I lived in Montreal 1965/66.

You would be surpised how much French you would have suddenly remembered if you wanted to take one out on a date.

Most of them were fluent in English also but you earned a lot of points if you parlayed a liittle with them in French.

I loved the way they spoke English.

The French+Canadian girls were fantastic when I lived in Montreal 1965/66.

You would be surpised how much French you would have suddenly remembered if you wanted to take one out on a date.

Most of them were fluent in English also but you earned a lot of points if you parlayed a liittle with them in French.

I loved the way they spoke English.

They do speak english with a sexy undertone :love:

So! You where a rocker v mods!!

No. That era was after the Rock and Rollers and when the Beatles first appeared in 1963. My era was 1956-60. I finished my army service in 1962 and came out somewhat changed in my social outlook.

I had no time for those silly bu**ers wearing Nehru jackets, riding Lambrettas and getting into weekend punch ups with the daft Marlon Brando wannabees riding motorcycles.

I still hung onto my motorbike though. Some things never change

No. That era was after the Rock and Rollers and when the Beatles first appeared in 1963. My era was 1956-60. I finished my army service in 1962 and came out somewhat changed in my social outlook.

I had no time for those silly bu**ers wearing Nehru jackets, riding Lambrettas and getting into weekend punch ups with the daft Marlon Brando wannabees riding motorcycles.

I still hung onto my motorbike though. Some things never change

What bike did you have Harley, back then?

That's one fellow ex-pat I'd like to see the back of. The King of Schlock TV and a charter member of the Grand Order of Assholes
There has to be some market for that jackass in UK, because there isn't much here among intelligent Americans. I believe they're allowed to show it over there without the bleeps.

Brits do have this misplaced sense of allegiance with the States; I wonder if that's something to do with the reason they like it (Frasier)? Truth - stranger than fiction eh?

Many brits really believe that America, our younger bro grown big, will look after us if any nasty men turn on us!!!

Televisual drivell is not confined to America - but they really are good at churning it out over there. And we're learning fast.

Big Brother, Survivor, Idol are imports from Britain along with the charming Gordon Ramsay of the gutter voice. All of it drivel. I much prefer CSI, NCIS, Deadliest Catch, American Chopper to any of them.

Big Brother, Survivor, Idol are imports from Britain along with the charming Gordon Ramsay of the gutter voice. All of it drivel. I much prefer CSI, NCIS, Deadliest Catch, American Chopper to any of them.

Every single show mentioned in this post is crap though, they're all lowest common denominator garbage. Oh and by the way Big Brother was a Dutch idea.

Archived