Too much American 'culture' in the UK?

The French+Canadian girls were fantastic when I lived in Montreal 1965/66.

You would be surpised how much French you would have suddenly remembered if you wanted to take one out on a date.

Most of them were fluent in English also but you earned a lot of points if you parlayed a liittle with them in French.

I loved the way they spoke English.

They were great dressers, tres chic. I emigrated there in 1968 till 1977.

Every single show mentioned in this post is crap though, they're all lowest common denominator garbage. Oh and by the way Big Brother was a Dutch idea.
Brit , Dutch whats the difference. I could watch some high quality stuff I suppose like Dr. No, the most unlikely hero I ever saw, unless gay is now heroic. But I just want to be entertained at the end of the day. Deadliest Catch fishermen or Ice Road truckers are pretty heroic in my view. I've not seen much documentary stuff on BBC America to match the Ken Burns documentaries on the Civil War, American Jazz and Baseball shown on PBS.

Brit , Dutch whats the difference.
You're clearly being deliberately offensive there so I'll choose to ignore that.

I could watch some high quality stuff I suppose like Dr. No, the most unlikely hero I ever saw, unless gay is now heroic.
What on earth are you on about? The James Bond story?

But I just want to be entertained at the end of the day. Deadliest Catch fishermen or Ice Road truckers are pretty heroic in my view.
Well I guess we define heroism differently. For me, a heroic act has to be selfless. People who choose to work in dangerous environments because they pay well don't really qualify in my book.

I've not seen much documentary stuff on BBC America to match the Ken Burns documentaries on the Civil War, American Jazz and Baseball shown on PBS.
I would vehemently disagree with that, the BBC makes the best documentaries in the world imo, especially on matters of nature and science. Of course we're not gonna make documentaries on baseball, we don't give a crap!

Andy McCluskey (OMD) sums up Cowell's influence on UK music with "Simon Cowell is singlehandedly responsible for some of the most -ing awful music in the last 15 years that's been inflicted on the entire planet":hihi:

Source => http://www.spin.com/articles/exclusive-new-song-synth-pop-legends-omd

As much as I love Andy McCluskey and OMD, this is the man who gave us Atomic Kitten, and by association, Kerry Katona.

I guess it's Yin and Yang: for every Architecture and Morality there is a terrible Iceland advert.

You're clearly being deliberately offensive there so I'll choose to ignore that.

What on earth are you on about? The James Bond story?

Well I guess we define heroism differently. For me, a heroic act has to be selfless. People who choose to work in dangerous environments because they pay well don't really qualify in my book.

I would vehemently disagree with that, the BBC makes the best documentaries in the world imo, especially on matters of nature and science. Of course we're not gonna make documentaries on baseball, we don't give a crap!

Fact of the matter Jim Lad is that not everyone is into nature and science.

For all the snobbery expressed on this thread about how crappy American TV is it has to be born in mind that the taste of British audiences is no more highbrow than that of Americans and it never was. The Daily Mirror and the Sun always sold 10 papers for every one that the Times and the Observer did.

I don't think MANY Brits do either, I think more people feel an allegiance with France than the US, 99% of Brits have never even been to the US.

You can always be relied on to come up with a load of absolute tosh eh pal? Do you EVER post anything worth saying - no, I didn't think so.

As I said MANY Brits have a misplaced allegience to America....

Carl Sagans Cosmos was excellent there was also a very good PBS series on evolution a few years back. Those aside I think you're right BBC science and nature series are on another level to most of those I've seen form anywhere else.

Well so far since they surpassed us in power that's actually exactly what's happened.

I think most of the 'special relationship' stuff in bunk and think we should fully accept that we're part of Europe but that doens't change the fact that in WWI, II and the Cold War the US came out on our side against "the nasty men" every time and that shouldn't be forgotten or denied.

Ooo pleky, I don't think there's much chance of us forgetting how our sorry arses were saved by America do you?

Had we not made our solitary stand when we did, sacrificing thousands of lives before America even came in, there would most probably have been no need for the yanks to help as the Krauts would be bound for The States along with the combined strength of the British and French Battle-Fleets.

Archived