Too much American 'culture' in the UK?

Buck, Harleyman, Poppins - and anybody else who might be interested.

The original question was whether there was too much American 'culture' in the UK.

The thread went tits up (IMO) when some of the contributors decided to demonstrate that they didn't know the difference between UK and US culture.

Some people wouldn't even know 'Kulcher' if it bit them on the arse.

Do you think it might be time to dispense with this thread?

mmmm USA Rioting:

2010 - University of Tennessee Lane Kiffin Riot. Students riot on the Knoxville campus following head football coach Lane Kiffin's announcement that he took the head coaching job at the University of Southern California.

2010 - University of Maryland basketball disturbance 2010, College Park, Maryland, March 3 following a game; 28 arrested.

2010 - Springfest Riot, April 10, 200 police disperse crowd of 8000 using tear gas, pepper spray, rubber bullets and bean bag rounds, near the campus of James Madison University; dozens injured; 30-35 arrested., Harrisonburg, Virginia

2010 – Santa Cruz May Day riot, May 1, 250 rampage through downtown Santa Cruz attacking 18 businesses, causing an estimated $100,000 in damages. 1 arrested. Santa Cruz, California

2010 – L.A. Lakers riot, June 17, Fans riot in Downtown Los Angeles after Lakers win championship, 50 arrested. Los Angeles, California

2010 – BART Verdict riot, July 8, Riot breaks out in response to verdict in the killing of Oscar Grant, BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant. About 100 businesses were damaged and 78 people were arrested, Oakland, California

2010 - Eugene Melee, Sept 25, Riot breaks out west of the University of Oregon campus as police use tear gas to break up a rowdy party. 9 arrested. Eugene, Oregon

2010 - Oakland Protest riot, Nov. 5, Police made more than 150 arrests as a crowd broke windows and knocked down fences, protesting sentence of former BART officer in shooting of Oscar Grant on New Years Day 2009 see BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant., Oakland, California

What has this got to do with the bolded part of Harleyman's post? There was another thread about what do the Americans think of our rioting over here which was since closed for "review", God knows why. There was no bickering, name calling or anything subversive that I could see, but whatever.

Just yesterday on the news, some vandals in Antelope (a suburb of Sacramento) shot out dozens of car windows just for the hell of it. And I can assure you, most of the people in Antelope who had their cars damaged can ill afford to have them repaired.

Most Americans are saddened to see the destruction across the pond. We look up to you, England is our 'mother'. It pains us to see you don't have the answers either and that things are just as big a mess over there.

None of us is rubbing your noses in this, or poking fun in any way.

None of us thinks we are better just because we're Americans, we have problems, too. (Sadly, some SF members pigheadedly believe we have to deflate our big, fat heads to get through the door. :hihi: )

Pointing fingers won't minimize your problems or make them go away.

These people made me smile. :D

Personally, I feel that poverty and social class might have some underlying part in making some of these people act this way, but as has been stated before, this is mainly a bunch of unethical creeps doing whatever they want just because they can.

mmmm USA Rioting:

2010 - University of Tennessee Lane Kiffin Riot. Students riot on the Knoxville campus following head football coach Lane Kiffin's announcement that he took the head coaching job at the University of Southern California.

2010 - University of Maryland basketball disturbance 2010, College Park, Maryland, March 3 following a game; 28 arrested.

2010 - Springfest Riot, April 10, 200 police disperse crowd of 8000 using tear gas, pepper spray, rubber bullets and bean bag rounds, near the campus of James Madison University; dozens injured; 30-35 arrested., Harrisonburg, Virginia

2010 – Santa Cruz May Day riot, May 1, 250 rampage through downtown Santa Cruz attacking 18 businesses, causing an estimated $100,000 in damages. 1 arrested. Santa Cruz, California

2010 – L.A. Lakers riot, June 17, Fans riot in Downtown Los Angeles after Lakers win championship, 50 arrested. Los Angeles, California

2010 – BART Verdict riot, July 8, Riot breaks out in response to verdict in the killing of Oscar Grant, BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant. About 100 businesses were damaged and 78 people were arrested, Oakland, California

2010 - Eugene Melee, Sept 25, Riot breaks out west of the University of Oregon campus as police use tear gas to break up a rowdy party. 9 arrested. Eugene, Oregon

2010 - Oakland Protest riot, Nov. 5, Police made more than 150 arrests as a crowd broke windows and knocked down fences, protesting sentence of former BART officer in shooting of Oscar Grant on New Years Day 2009 see BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant., Oakland, California

So what's your point? Ask any European who the most drunken, loudmouth troube makers are whether they're on holiday or there for the foottball matches and you know what the answer is.

Didn't used to be like that. I remember when English people were respected and liked in Europe for a few decades after WW2.

It's a real shame what seems to have happened to a lot of the current generation.

I reckon apologists like you will parrot the same old reasons but a Yob is a Yob is a Yob and that's all there is to it.

Buck, Harleyman, Poppins - and anybody else who might be interested.

The original question was whether there was too much American 'culture' in the UK.

The thread went tits up (IMO) when some of the contributors decided to demonstrate that they didn't know the difference between UK and US culture.

Some people wouldn't even know 'Kulcher' if it bit them on the arse.

Do you think it might be time to dispense with this thread?

Aw come on Rupert. I say keep bringing on the clowns and let the merriment continue.

You know as well as I do that any time a thread appears about America or Americans it always more or less ends up the same way but clowns have rights too so on with the Love Fest !!!!!!

Backing up a bit ...

It's dead easy to 'wind up' Americans. - So easy, it doesn't even count as sport.

Actually, they tend to set themselves up.

50 States in the US. (more or less.)

Got to Nebraska (or anywhere in "the mid-Waste) and - when they ask you to pay for something say: "Oh, I'm terribly sorry ... I've only got Hawiian money."

What sort of response do you think you will get? (Locked up?)

50 States in the US. They have all sorts of crap on their licence plates.

Illinois. 'Land of Lincoln' Born in Kentucky, died in Washington, DC.

Illinois is quite obviously the 'Land of Lincoln'.

New Mexico - The only state in the Union to have the letters "USA" after the state name on the licence plate.

It doesn't say 'Florida, USA' or Texas, USA' or 'New York, USA' or 'California, USA' - but it does say 'New Mexico, USA'.

Why? - Because if it didn't, you'd probably be stopped every 5 miles for being a bloody Dago!

You think that's funny? - You wouldn't if you lived there! I tried to call home from Georgia couldn't make a connection, called the local operator and was told: "Oh, you need to dial the country code."

Fodor's Guide to the United States advises travellers that 'Banks in Albuquerque stay open until 4pm to facilitate currency Exchange'. That's so that American tourists can change their American dollars into American dollars. (I'll give you the best rate - I'll give you 10 of ours for 11 of yours!)

If you ever go to Florida, ask them "What's the oldest City in the United States?"

They'll probably say "St Augustine - founded 1565."

Ask them about Acoma Pueblo (continuously inhabited since about 980 AD )and they'll look at you blankly.

Unfortunately, most [but not all] Americans wouldn't recognise 'culture' or 'history' if it bit them on the arse.

American culture? - Half of them don't even know

Aw come on Rupert. I say keep bringing on the clowns and let the merriment continue.

You know as well as I do that any time a thread appears about America or Americans it always more or less ends up the same way but clowns have rights too so on with the Love Fest !!!!!!

If you get us shut down Rupert, we people domiciled in the land of the free will have no place to go to discuss where the best restaurants are, or who will win the superbowl, or the world series, or which is worse, a tornado, earthquake, hurricane or blizzard. Mega threads about who came from Grimesthorpe don't work for us, since not one of us ever did, especially Sierra who probably thinks it must be one of Sheffield's upper crust enclaves. She would be wrong, but being wrong doesn't faze us. We're used to being told that we're trying to rule the world, when we've already done it. Where could we go without Supertyke to put us right about our government, which in his opinion is not us cos we're OK except for some of us. I know the tyke is a Yorkshire Terrier, which the county seems to be proud of. They are nasty little yappers, whicn no blue blooded American male would take for a walk, a boxer yes, or a Siberian Husky maybe, or a German Shepherd, but not a tyke, super or otherwise:)

Backing up a bit ...

It's dead easy to 'wind up' Americans. - So easy, it doesn't even count as sport.

Actually, they tend to set themselves up.

50 States in the US. (more or less.)

Got to Nebraska (or anywhere in "the mid-Waste) and - when they ask you to pay for something say: "Oh, I'm terribly sorry ... I've only got Hawiian money."

What sort of response do you think you will get? (Locked up?)

50 States in the US. They have all sorts of crap on their licence plates.

Illinois. 'Land of Lincoln' Born in Kentucky, died in Washington, DC.

Illinois is quite obviously the 'Land of Lincoln'.

New Mexico - The only state in the Union to have the letters "USA" after the state name on the licence plate.

It doesn't say 'Florida, USA' or Texas, USA' or 'New York, USA' or 'California, USA' - but it does say 'New Mexico, USA'.

Why? - Because if it didn't, you'd probably be stopped every 5 miles for being a bloody Dago!

You think that's funny? - You wouldn't if you lived there! I tried to call home from Georgia couldn't make a connection, called the local operator and was told: "Oh, you need to dial the country code."

Fodor's Guide to the United States advises travellers that 'Banks in Albuquerque stay open until 4pm to facilitate currency Exchange'. That's so that American tourists can change their American dollars into American dollars. (I'll give you the best rate - I'll give you 10 of ours for 11 of yours!)

If you ever go to Florida, ask them "What's the oldest City in the United States?"

They'll probably say "St Augustine - founded 1565."

Ask them about Acoma Pueblo (continuously inhabited since about 980 AD )and they'll look at you blankly.

Unfortunately, most [but not all] Americans wouldn't recognise 'culture' or 'history' if it bit them on the arse.

American culture? - Half of them don't even know

So from all this you decided you knew all about America. I don't know everything about it and I've been here 43 years. After how long here did you discover all the answers, a fortnight? a year even? So you know all about Acoma Pueblo eh? Good for you, perhaps you could get a Rhodes Scholarship for that. that's why we'll never get one. None of us know where or why, and I'm sorry ro say, we don't care. How many would you call "most"? You mention half, that's about 150 million. You must have talked to a lot of people to know so much, and have visited every state in the Union to have met so many.

I lived in UK for 37 years, and visited just about every town and city in it. I could tell Americans it is the most snobbish place on earth,except for the hooligans who destroy any city they visit for a game of the only sport the country is any good at. But I would be wrong. It is mostly populated by decent families going about their daily lives without being told they're ignorant, stupid or fat. Decent families like the ones who live in North America.

Sorry Buck - You can't have a Rhodes Scholarship because (even though you think you are a Yankee) you don't come from the right family.

It's not what you know - it's who you know.

My father-in-law was descended from Ethan Allen (we get discounts on furniture ;)) Which makes my wife a 'daughter of the revolution' and she's also a 'Daughter of the Republic of Texas'. (Great (however many) grand-daddy was a gentleman by the name of Crockett.)

Me? - I'm a peon ... unless, of course we're in new Orleans, where my great (however many) grand daddy's death mask is in the museum. I speak pretty good Cajun (it's very similar to the language I spoke as a child) and I'm treated rather well there.

As I'm sure you're aware, Americans don't give a stuff about heritage. - Not much.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Yes, I've been to America once or twice. I know about Acoma Pueblo because I spent 4 years living in New Mexico (and my wife's parents spent 40 years there.)

I do have a green card (mine's blue and valid forever.) I have had problems going back to the US. As a 'Resident Alium' you're not allowed to stay out of the US for more than 12 calendar months. On one occasion I wanted to go back and had been out of the country for a couple of years. The EEjit at Delta Airlines in London didn't want to let me go in. I invited him to call the imbecile (at Grosvenor House) and he did so.

"We've got this bloke with a blue green card wot's been out of the US for nearly 2 years and he wants to go back."

"Does he have anything else?"

"Yeah, he's got a State Department ID"

Hilarious.

I haven't lived in the US anywhere as long as you have and I bow to your knowledge about Yankees.

I have, however, been there for a little more than 5 minutes.

Actually the best steaks in the US are cooked right here in my back yard.

I dont use charcoal, although some claim that it enhances the taste which I dont agree with.

I have a big six burner stainless steel propane gas grill with a rotisserie for cooking chicken.

I get the temperature up to max heat for cooking then turn down the burners to medium setting and toss on the steaks.

They cook very quickly while I flip them over frequently, dousing the flames with a squirt bottle of water. I dust both sides very lighly with McCormicks Spicy Montreal steak seasoning and even lighter with garlic salt but very carefully as they might taste too salty.

When cooked all the way thru but with a very slight pinkish hue in the middle I pull them off the grill fast before the juices dissipate. The missus meanwhile has prepared the Texas chilli, mashed potatos and corn on the cob.

I've eaten in more steak restaurants than I've had hot showers but never yet found one to that can match me in steaks. Nowadays I rarely eat in a steak restaurant because of that.

One of the best steaks I tasted was in New York on a recent trip and the clam chowder they served was fantastic. I wish I could have found out what they put in it. It even beat the clam chowder they serve on the Seattle waterfront

There's a message in there though, and I'm not sure why.

When my wife first came to the UK (and I was still on Active Duty) there were 4 options.

1. The Americans came to the Brits for a dining-in Night.

2. The Brits went to the Americans for a dining-in Night.

3. The Americans came to the Brits for a Barbecue.

4. The Brits went to the Americans for a Barbecue.

1 and 4 were brilliant. 2 and 3 were usually (almost inevitably) a disaster!

The Brits are very good at arranging formal dining. The Americans are very good at running barbecues.

Americans haven't got a clue about formal dining and Brits can (usually) convert prime beef to charcoal in seconds!

I've been to British Barbecues and American Dining-In nights. Disasters.

The Wing Commander at Alconbury (when my wife was there) was a very reasonable man and after one disaster on each side, we agreed that the Brits would do the things they were good at than the Americans would do the things they were good at. It worked well. Get it right and you live in harmony ... get it wrong and you'll find out what indigestion is all about.:hihi::hihi:

I'm the cook in our house (and I'm quite good at it.) When it comes to cooking in the garden, she makes me do it and although we've never died, it isn't up to much. I can't cook a decent steak in a grill. When we're in the US, we go to the neighbours houses for grilled steak and they come to ours for ínside cooking'. It makes sense.

Sorry Buck - You can't have a Rhodes Scholarship because (even though you think you are a Yankee) you don't come from the right family.

It's not what you know - it's who you know.

My father-in-law was descended from Ethan Allen (we get discounts on furniture ;)) Which makes my wife a 'daughter of the revolution' and she's also a 'Daughter of the Republic of Texas'. (Great (however many) grand-daddy was a gentleman by the name of Crockett.)

Me? - I'm a peon ... unless, of course we're in new Orleans, where my great (however many) grand daddy's death mask is in the museum. I speak pretty good Cajun (it's very similar to the language I spoke as a child) and I'm treated rather well there.

As I'm sure you're aware, Americans don't give a stuff about heritage. - Not much.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Yes, I've been to America once or twice. I know about Acoma Pueblo because I spent 4 years living in New Mexico (and my wife's parents spent 40 years there.)

I do have a green card (mine's blue and valid forever.) I have had problems going back to the US. As a 'Resident Alium' you're not allowed to stay out of the US for more than 12 calendar months. On one occasion I wanted to go back and had been out of the country for a couple of years. The EEjit at Delta Airlines in London didn't want to let me go in. I invited him to call the imbecile (at Grosvenor House) and he did so.

"We've got this bloke with a blue green card wot's been out of the US for nearly 2 years and he wants to go back."

"Does he have anything else?"

"Yeah, he's got a State Department ID"

Hilarious.

I haven't lived in the US anywhere as long as you have and I bow to your knowledge about Yankees.

I have, however, been there for a little more than 5 minutes.

Well I guess I misjudged you a little, but on the rare occasions I've visited UK in recent years I've been in some pub or restaurant with my wife and/or sons and overheard some loud mouthed oaf spouting off about his holiday in America. " They even eat roast beef in a sandwich with only one slice of bread covered with gravy, disgusting!" Its called an open sandwich, popular in NYC, and in fact is rather good. Or they go to a baseball game if they can get a ticket to the Yankees, and complain that its boring. I agree but then again I don't go. I may go to see a minor league game with the grandkids for 4 bucks a ticket,and sit with a massive crowd of 2000, and enjoy the evening sunlight. But I wouldn't be found dead paying a hundred before I'd even bought dogs and cola for the kids. To say that everybody or nearly everybody in America is any one thing shows a lack of really understanding this very varied place. My fight to get a green card was long and hard, so I was desperate not to stay out of the country longer than the permitted year. Even though I was at the time a Canadian citizen, and would not be troubled to go back. I came to this vast continent, with a HNC in Engineering, excellent training in Electronics from Her Majesty's Navy, and a school certificate with 2 distinctions and 4 credits, from long before you didn't need 11plus, and never looked back.:)

Archived