Too much American 'culture' in the UK?

If you get us shut down Rupert, we people domiciled in the land of the free will have no place to go to discuss where the best restaurants are, or who will win the superbowl, or the world series, or which is worse, a tornado, earthquake, hurricane or blizzard. Mega threads about who came from Grimesthorpe don't work for us, since not one of us ever did, especially Sierra who probably thinks it must be one of Sheffield's upper crust enclaves. She would be wrong, but being wrong doesn't faze us. We're used to being told that we're trying to rule the world, when we've already done it. Where could we go without Supertyke to put us right about our government, which in his opinion is not us cos we're OK except for some of us. I know the tyke is a Yorkshire Terrier, which the county seems to be proud of. They are nasty little yappers, whicn no blue blooded American male would take for a walk, a boxer yes, or a Siberian Husky maybe, or a German Shepherd, but not a tyke, super or otherwise:)

But would you really give a damn? - You'll read more than a fair share of vitriol on this (and other) forums concerning the US.

Does it matter?

How many people sneak into the US every year? (the illegals) How many people apply and are rejected? how many people apply and get in?

If the US is such a crappy place to live, why do so many people spend so much of their lives (and sadly - for some - all of their lives) trying to get there?

I often spend more than a year at a time out of the US. - Not entirely through choice, it's called 'Government Service'.

In two weeks time, we don't have to.

We will spend winter in Florida (October to May) and May to October in Europe (there are no mountains in Florida and I like mountains - nor are there grandchildren in Florida and I like them, too.)

There's a message in there though, and I'm not sure why.

When my wife first came to the UK (and I was still on Active Duty) there were 4 options.

1. The Americans came to the Brits for a dining-in Night.

2. The Brits went to the Americans for a dining-in Night.

3. The Americans came to the Brits for a Barbecue.

4. The Brits went to the Americans for a Barbecue.

1 and 4 were brilliant. 2 and 3 were usually (almost inevitably) a disaster!

The Brits are very good at arranging formal dining. The Americans are very good at running barbecues.

Americans haven't got a clue about formal dining and Brits can (usually) convert prime beef to charcoal in seconds!

I've been to British Barbecues and American Dining-In nights. Disasters.

The Wing Commander at Alconbury (when my wife was there) was a very reasonable man and after one disaster on each side, we agreed that the Brits would do the things they were good at than the Americans would do the things they were good at. It worked well. Get it right and you live in harmony ... get it wrong and you'll find out what indigestion is all about.:hihi::hihi:

I'm the cook in our house (and I'm quite good at it.) When it comes to cooking in the garden, she makes me do it and although we've never died, it isn't up to much. I can't cook a decent steak in a grill. When we're in the US, we go to the neighbours houses for grilled steak and they come to ours for ínside cooking'. It makes sense.

I met my wife at a friend's BBQ picnic at his house on July 4th 30 years ago. We were both widowed and have been married for 29 of them. We have never missed a July 4th there, except last year when his surviving widow took herself off to family in Ohio. It is quite an event with everybody from the neighborhood bringing something to cook or salad or drink, polish kielbasa, Italian sausage and onions, burgers, shrimps,clams, lobster, lasagne, fruit salad, chicken drumsticks. Hundreds of illegal fireworks. Kids by the hundred. Great fun, especially the good natured ribbing about coming from the losing side. I ask some guy with a name like Luigi what his family did in the revolution. Funny how much George Washingon loved linguini.:)

I often spend more than a year at a time out of the US. - Not entirely through choice, it's called 'Government Service'.

In two weeks time, we don't have to.

We will spend winter in Florida (October to May) and May to October in Europe (there are no mountains in Florida and I like mountains - nor are there grandchildren in Florida and I like them, too.)

You will become a snowbird. My son David hates snowbirds. They come and clog the roads with their massive RVs, so decent floridians can't find a parking space on their own beaches. Then they leave and its too hot to be on a beach:hihi: I'm not crazy about Florida. It's way too flat for me and a bit sleazy in places. Our grandkids have dragged us off 1500 miles since they've been there. My pulminory problems negate me from flying, and now my doctor has banned me from long distance driving. She's trying to ban me from bacon and eggs, but not succeeding:)

Not quite. We live in Florida (Wef 16 September) but in summer (next year) I'll be back in the Alps.

Winter in Florida will be great - fishing, swimming and sailing - but there are no mountains.

Mountains grow wild around here and I spend my summers prodding around in them

There's a message in there though, and I'm not sure why.

When my wife first came to the UK (and I was still on Active Duty) there were 4 options.

1. The Americans came to the Brits for a dining-in Night.

2. The Brits went to the Americans for a dining-in Night.

3. The Americans came to the Brits for a Barbecue.

4. The Brits went to the Americans for a Barbecue.

1 and 4 were brilliant. 2 and 3 were usually (almost inevitably) a disaster!

The Brits are very good at arranging formal dining. The Americans are very good at running barbecues.

Americans haven't got a clue about formal dining and Brits can (usually) convert prime beef to charcoal in seconds!

I've been to British Barbecues and American Dining-In nights. Disasters.

The Wing Commander at Alconbury (when my wife was there) was a very reasonable man and after one disaster on each side, we agreed that the Brits would do the things they were good at than the Americans would do the things they were good at. It worked well. Get it right and you live in harmony ... get it wrong and you'll find out what indigestion is all about.:hihi::hihi:

I'm the cook in our house (and I'm quite good at it.) When it comes to cooking in the garden, she makes me do it and although we've never died, it isn't up to much. I can't cook a decent steak in a grill. When we're in the US, we go to the neighbours houses for grilled steak and they come to ours for ínside cooking'. It makes sense.

Wow Rupert ! Formal dining egad ! Now you've got me all in a tither and the missus is about to have a nervous breakdown. Could it be that us Colonials haven't been using the correct spoons for soup and dessert? :o :o

Were the knives forks and spoons all arranged in the right order by our plates at last night's meal? And the napkins? My God ! They were paper disposable bought at Costco instead of pure silk from Pierre's on Rodeo Drive.

As for the seating arrangements? "A complete and utter disaster my deah!" Clue me in on that part will you?

Also I've got a 'orrible feeling that I've been slipping up badly on the dress code. Open neck, short sleeve sports shirts dont cut it I guess. From now on it's cravats, dining jackets and cummerbunds

It's no wonder that Yanks, Canadians, Aussies and New Zelanders often make fun of the more prissy aspects of our cousins in the old country

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Backing up a bit ...

It's dead easy to 'wind up' Americans. - So easy, it doesn't even count as sport.

Actually, they tend to set themselves up.

50 States in the US. (more or less.)

Got to Nebraska (or anywhere in "the mid-Waste) and - when they ask you to pay for something say: "Oh, I'm terribly sorry ... I've only got Hawiian money."

What sort of response do you think you will get? (Locked up?)

50 States in the US. They have all sorts of crap on their licence plates.

Illinois. 'Land of Lincoln' Born in Kentucky, died in Washington, DC.

Illinois is quite obviously the 'Land of Lincoln'.

New Mexico - The only state in the Union to have the letters "USA" after the state name on the licence plate.

It doesn't say 'Florida, USA' or Texas, USA' or 'New York, USA' or 'California, USA' - but it does say 'New Mexico, USA'.

Why? - Because if it didn't, you'd probably be stopped every 5 miles for being a bloody Dago!

You think that's funny? - You wouldn't if you lived there! I tried to call home from Georgia couldn't make a connection, called the local operator and was told: "Oh, you need to dial the country code."

Fodor's Guide to the United States advises travellers that 'Banks in Albuquerque stay open until 4pm to facilitate currency Exchange'. That's so that American tourists can change their American dollars into American dollars. (I'll give you the best rate - I'll give you 10 of ours for 11 of yours!)

If you ever go to Florida, ask them "What's the oldest City in the United States?"

They'll probably say "St Augustine - founded 1565."

Ask them about Acoma Pueblo (continuously inhabited since about 980 AD )and they'll look at you blankly.

Unfortunately, most [but not all] Americans wouldn't recognise 'culture' or 'history' if it bit them on the arse.

American culture? - Half of them don't even know

Last time I saw a New Mexico plate it was yellow background with red numbers and letters and said "New Mexico land of enchantment" Nothing about New Mexico USA

What's wrong with each state having it's own slogan or whatever you want to call it shown on it's license plate? Some of the license plates are downright nice to look at with mountains, desert scenery or fish and birds as a background.

Many drivers in Europe have badges on their cars showing their various countries. European license plates all look the same more or less to me. No individuality at all.

You can always tell the German. He's the fat guy wearing a Frank Sinatra hat with a feather stuck in it and sitting in an Audi.

Cant mistake the Englishman. He's sitting in a car with the steering wheel on the wrong side and the Frenchman? He's the one who leans out of the window flipping off every driver who gets in his way

I like all the different license plates. Goodness knows you don't see them all every day. Even within one state, they can vary quite a bit over time. One of our cars has the Whale Tail plates, which I've grown quite fond of. But there's a lot of variety and when you add in all the different native american plates (most never seen off the reservation) there are quite a few. Almost all the native american plates I've seen in California are not so distinctive. They're just the plain, federal government looking plates with no markings.

This site is interesting. Not only do they have the current plates, but what they used to look like over the years.

And who knew the Smithsonian had license plates of the 50 U.S. states and Washington, D.C. displaying the preamble to the Constitution. Awesome! :)

I like all the different license plates. Goodness knows you don't see them all every day. Even within one state, they can vary quite a bit over time. One of our cars has the Whale Tail plates, which I've grown quite fond of. But there's a lot of variety and when you add in all the different native american plates (most never seen off the reservation) there are quite a few. Almost all the native american plates I've seen in California are not so distinctive. They're just the plain, federal government looking plates with no markings.

This site is interesting. Not only do they have the current plates, but what they used to look like over the years.

And who knew the Smithsonian had license plates of the 50 U.S. states and Washington, D.C. displaying the preamble to the Constitution. Awesome! :)

Dont know if you have a Legends restaurant anywhere in your area Sierra.

It's dining with a 1950s flair (but not the prices :hihi:). The floors are black and white checker board with chrome and formica tables and chairs and juke box banging out all the oldies. The walls are covered with 50s memorabilia including just about every licence plate past and present from most states.

The current Florida nature series plates are among the best I think

Dont know if you have a Legends restaurant anywhere in your area Sierra.

It's dining with a 1950s flair (but not the prices :hihi:). The floors are black and white checker board with chrome and formica tables and chairs and juke box banging out all the oldies. The walls are covered with 50s memorabilia including just about every licence plate past and present from most states.

The current Florida nature series plates are among the best I think

We have a Johnny Rockets Diner here, not too many of them, 50s stlye, red padded booths, crome chairs,vintage tables and those mini jukeboxes on all the tables, the staff dressed as "soda jerks, puts on nickle on your table as soon as you sit down ready to play the jukebox...food it excellent, place is always packed.

Archived