Too much American 'culture' in the UK?

Dont know if you have a Legends restaurant anywhere in your area Sierra.

It's dining with a 1950s flair (but not the prices :hihi:). The floors are black and white checker board with chrome and formica tables and chairs and juke box banging out all the oldies. The walls are covered with 50s memorabilia including just about every licence plate past and present from most states.

The current Florida nature series plates are among the best I think

We don't have a Legends, but I remember Mel's Drive In when I was a child. Sadly now I think they're all in San Francisco, but they used to be all over.

Places like this (A&W Drive In, etc) are becoming extinct. I guess theres always Sonic which I don't really like. The kids used to love it, especially my son.

Yes Sierra, I've had quite a few members asking me I';f i could help them get to the States,people would be surprised who was asking, felt bad as I've been here too long and didn't realise how hard it was for people to get here now...no wonder they hate Americans so much :hihi:

But adoption ? no ones ever asked me that :hihi:

Well, it was kind of a joke but I really felt helpless that I couldn't provide more assistance.

The immigration laws are far too difficult for those who want to do the right thing and come here legally. And I could write a book about those who cut to the front of the line. Most don't even have the sense or humility to keep a low profile.

Slight quibble here, the U-Boats posed a serious danger to the survival of the British war against he Nazis, not the Britain's future as a nation.

I would see the complete success of the U-Boat campaign as bringing about a very major change in Britain's future as a nation in the context of it remaining culturally, democratic and traditionally British as it had always existed earlier.

Starved into surrender by the complete or almost complete annihation of it's convoys carrying vitally needed food and war supplies it would have had little choice but to surrender or let millions of it's citizens starve to death instead.

I dont think Hitler would have actually insisted on a full blown German occupation of Britain but the country would have become something of a lackey to the Nazis much along the lines of Vichy France

As for the US it would no longer have counted. Who knows which way it would have gone but there's also the fact to consider that Roosevelt by guile and cunning was determined to get the US into the war one way or another. The USS Greer incident was an example

The attack on Pearl Harbor was the answer to his prayers although obviously not the way he would have wished the entry of his country into the war to have happened

Yes Sierra, I've had quite a few members asking me I';f i could help them get to the States,people would be surprised who was asking, felt bad as I've been here too long and didn't realise how hard it was for people to get here now...no wonder they hate Americans so much :hihi:

But adoption ? no ones ever asked me that :hihi:

You could always petition for a member by telling the INS you need a cook from UK

When the INS ask you why you can't employ local help then tell em

"I need someone who can do a traditional British roast with Yorkshire pud and Manchester tart for dessert and none of the locals have a clue in creation what that is"

:hihi:

We don't have a Legends, but I remember Mel's Drive In when I was a child. Sadly now I think they're all in San Francisco, but they used to be all over. Places like this (A&W Drive In, etc) are becoming extinct. I guess theres always Sonic which I don't really like. The kids used to love it, especially my son.

Often what goes around comes around again. I wont say Drive in Movies will ever make a comeback but waitresses on skates bringing food to cars and malt shops might re-appear just for the reason that many people like change and variety when the novelty of what exists starts to fade

Indoor malls have traditionally been the places to shop but also to see and be seen for the best part of 40 years but Main Street style Anerica which became blighted when malls arrived is now making a comeback. Pasadena Old Town is a local example. Full of tourists and locals by day and really rocking on weekend nights.

At one of my watering holes here in CT, they used to sell Sam Smith's Tadcaster Ale, or is it John Smith's, I can't remember. Anyway I couldn't enjoy it ice cold and used to have to wait for it to cool down, which meant I drank less. So the owner started pulling them out about an hour before I got there, so they were ready. I loved those taddy's even if I can't remember if it was Sam or John.:)

I would never drink any British beer unless it was room temperature. My brother-in-law who came over on visits from UK on the other hand didn't like American beer that was ice cold. He used to ask for Budweiser at room temperature.:gag:

I would never drink any British beer unless it was room temperature. My brother-in-law who came over on visits from UK on the other hand didn't like American beer that was ice cold. He used to ask for Budweiser at room temperature.:gag:

If you let a pint stand for about an hour it will reach room temperature and if you've ever tasted it like that I'd be surprised if you would want to repeat the experience.

The correct cellar temperature for British beer is 56 degrees F. Room temperature is generally taken to be 72 degrees F.

Slight quibble here, the U-Boats posed a serious danger to the survival of the British war against he Nazis, not the Britain's future as a nation.
I'm not so sure here. I was 8 years old when the war started, and almost from day one we were subjected to intense rationing of those foods which we had to import to survive. The ration of meat like pork or beef was at one point down to 2 ounces per person per week. Food that was grown in UK was usually fairly plentiful like bread, but eggs were dried so you lived on powdered omelets. Bananas vanished for the war. You could get orange juice, and in fact the government issued free orange juice for the kids, plus a bottle of milk and a free lunch. All this would have been for nought if the Uboats had their way. When I joined the Fleet Air Arm in 1949, we were still carrying out extensive anti submarine training even as far as 1966, when I left the service. My last commision was on a small anti submarine frigate with a helicopter. This carried 2 torpedos which could home in on the propellor noise coming in from a submerged boat, my job among others was to ensure these torps were ready to fire. Enemy subs could escape from close surface attackers, but not helicopters, they couldn't hear them until too late.

If you let a pint stand for about an hour it will reach room temperature and if you've ever tasted it like that I'd be surprised if you would want to repeat the experience.

The correct cellar temperature for British beer is 56 degrees F. Room temperature is generally taken to be 72 degrees F.

I stand corrected then. So many people say that British beer is served "at room temperature" and others like the yanks say that "it's warm"

Archived