Too much American 'culture' in the UK?

Last time I saw a New Mexico plate it was yellow background with red numbers and letters and said "New Mexico land of enchantment" Nothing about New Mexico USA

Eyesight or memory failing?

The standard red and yellow plate looks like this.

There are more NM plates here. There are indeed New Mexico plates without the letters "USA" after the State Name - but not many.

Eyesight or memory failing?

The standard red and yellow plate looks like this.

There are more NM plates here. There are indeed New Mexico plates without the letters "USA" after the State Name - but not many.

Well I confess I haven't see a NM plate around here in quite a time so maybe it is a case of memory although I dont recall the USA being on the plates I saw in the past.

The standard issue California plate is probably the most mundane unimaginative plate of all 50 states.

It's probably something to do with the population size and the expense that would be incurred in engraving anything more than the name and licence number

As a one-time New Mexico resident (and being married to a lady who has an NM SSN and whose parents lived there for many years) I used to get somewhat miffed when Americans showed their (lack of) geographical knowledge and assumed that New Mexico was a foreign country. - It was amusing at times, but being required to show an ID document (not because they thought I was a Brit, but because they thought I might be a Mexican :hihi:) grew old quickly.

You may be right about California plates - though Florida plates are bor[ange]ing, too.

My last Mississippi plate (they change the design every few years and I got a new plate in 2008 ) was a work of art! - Quite literally.

(Perhaps one of the inmates of Parchman was an artist?)

The biggest difference I've noticed between the Americans and Brits is that there a lot of snobbery within the average English working class people, not the rich, mostly in the working class, you seldom find that with Americans.

Also the English staple foods don't change, it's still, chip butties, greasy bacon butties, fried eggs & beans on toast, not to forget, the mash & yorkshire pud, swimming in thick gravy....think I'll go out and get me a Mc Donalds:)

The biggest difference I've noticed between the Americans and Brits is that there a lot of snobbery within the average English working class people, not the rich, mostly in the working class, you seldom find that with Americans.

Also the English staple foods don't change, it's still, chip butties, greasy bacon butties, fried eggs & beans on toast, not to forget, the mash & yorkshire pud, swimming in thick gravy....think I'll go out and get me a Mc Donalds:)

You know what poppins?....... This sounds quite tasty. Must remember this on my next trip back there :hihi:

As a one-time New Mexico resident (and being married to a lady who has an NM SSN and whose parents lived there for many years) I used to get somewhat miffed when Americans showed their (lack of) geographical knowledge and assumed that New Mexico was a foreign country. - It was amusing at times, but being required to show an ID document (not because they thought I was a Brit, but because they thought I might be a Mexican :hihi:) grew old quickly.

You may be right about California plates - though Florida plates are bor[ange]ing, too.

My last Mississippi plate (they change the design every few years and I got a new plate in 2008 ) was a work of art! - Quite literally.

(Perhaps one of the inmates of Parchman was an artist?)

What's a NM SSN ?

I thought the Feds only issued Social Security Numbers

The biggest difference I've noticed between the Americans and Brits is that there a lot of snobbery within the average English working class people, not the rich, mostly in the working class,

More - I suggest- within the Nouveau riche (the 'ten bob millionaires.')

...you seldom find that with Americans.

As they say 'your mileage may vary'. I've encountered enough snobs in the US to blow the theory that the Brits have a monopoly on 'snobbishness' out of the water. :hihi:

I lived in MIchigan for a while. (Michigan is like your left hand. The bit between the thumb and fore-finger is where the Polacks and Irish live. - Lively, high crime (sort of) and laid back.

Your little finger is where the Dutch live. They're not the real Dutch - they're the Dutch who were kicked out of Holland because they were such a pain in the arse (real Dutch are [fairly] friendly tolerant people. Michigan Dutch are not.

If you smile in Holland (Michigan) on a Sunday, that's probably an offence.

They have Tee shirts which say: "If you're not Dutch, you're not much." They mean it, too.

A Dutch name is a passport to pleasure.

If your name starts with 'van' (and particularly if you remember to use a lower case 'v') you are Royalty.

I introduced myself to one of those people as 'van Rentl'.

Hertz van Rentl.

I was accepted immediately.

I introduced my wife as 'Avis'.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

(I might even have got away with introducing her as 'Avis car Hier', but I didn't want to push it.;))

...Also the English staple foods don't change, it's still, chip butties, greasy bacon butties, fried eggs & beans on toast, not to forget, the mash & yorkshire pud, swimming in thick gravy....think I'll go out and get me a Mc Donalds:)

Unfortunately, that's not so!

'Traditional English food' (judging by the surveys) ranges from ring-stinging Vindaloo to sugar-filled Korma.:sad:

More - I suggest- within the Nouveau riche (the 'ten bob millionaires.')

As they say 'your mileage may vary'. I've encountered enough snobs in the US to blow the theory that the Brits have a monopoly on 'snobbishness' out of the water. :hihi:

I lived in MIchigan for a while. (Michigan is like your left hand. The bit between the thumb and fore-finger is where the Polacks and Irish live. - Lively, high crime (sort of) and laid back.

Your little finger is where the Dutch live. They're not the real Dutch - they're the Dutch who were kicked out of Holland because they were such a pain in the arse (real Dutch are [fairly] friendly tolerant people. Michigan Dutch are not.

If you smile in Holland (Michigan) on a Sunday, that's probably an offence.

They have Tee shirts which say: "If you're not Dutch, you're not much." They mean it, too.

A Dutch name is a passport to pleasure.

If your name starts with 'van' (and particularly if you remember to use a lower case 'v') you are Royalty.

I introduced myself to one of those people as 'van Rentl'.

Hertz van Rentl.

I was accepted immediately.

I introduced my wife as 'Avis'.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

(I might even have got away with introducing her as 'Avis car Hier', but I didn't want to push it.;))

Unfortunately, that's not so!

'Traditional English food' (judging by the surveys) ranges from ring-stinging Vindaloo to sugar-filled Korma.:sad:

I've seen those t-shirts around also. That's more ignorance than snobbery since the only thing Dutch about them are their names just as Mike O'Hanlon from Boston thinks he's Irish because his great great grandad Shamus came over during the spud famine in Ireland.

Real snobbery is the kind you mentioned in the earlier post. "Formal dining with the Wing Commander" and leave the Colonials to do the outdoor cooking.

:hihi:

I have however profited from your words of wisdom. Last night I ate my southern fried chicken using a knife and fork and the night before same with the baby back ribs

Archived