Too much American 'culture' in the UK?

Is there too much Americana on British TV? Or in society- fast food, coffee...our behaviour and language?

The French have notoriously tried (or succeeded?) on several occasions to curtail all US culture in their society, and restrict the amount of English language in their media. Were they 'right' to at least try to halt the ceaseless tide of US adverts and TV shows etc, as we in the UK receive? Or were they missing out?

Not that I have a problem with Americans per sé, nor am an ultra-Tory etc, but there does seem to be a huge amount of US culture in our society?

Or does it not matter?

I've brought this up before people saying words like 'guys, movies, jeez, dude' etc then you've got the (cough) school prom thats right SCHOOL PROM wtf's going on ? we live in England we're nothing like Americans, I'm not slating America or yanks in general cos I've been there loads of times and love the place, but it's sad seeing teenagers acting stupid like yank kids - I blame the telly !

I was someone who noticed the American words in science textbooks at school. Then you would hop on to a computer and be overwhelmed as Microsoft Word kept going Color instead of Colour. It made me want to kill the paper clip character even more!

I like some of the American culture we have embraced but I think it has gone a bit too far not just in the UK but globally.

I was someone who noticed the American words in science textbooks at school. Then you would hop on to a computer and be overwhelmed as Microsoft Word kept going Color instead of Colour. It made me want to kill the paper clip character even more!

I like some of the American culture we have embraced but I think it has gone a bit too far not just in the UK but globally.

There is a reason for that though isn't there? People love it.

There is a reason for that though isn't there? People love it.

I used to like it more than I do now.

Perhaps tastes are changing slowly but surely as people are getting tired of seeing McDonalds and Starbucks round every corner.

I hate the Yanks as much as the next person

How about I saw I hate all people with Aspergers. Thats okay, right?

Do a lot of people in the UK 'hate Yanks' then Rich? I know i don't hate them.

I don't think there is too much of any culture here in the UK. Well, maybe a little too much UK culture ;)

I dont think theres a lot of out and out hate, but people do make passing comments. I would get it at work with managers saying 'Its okay, shes a Yank, she doesnt know any better' and then laugh. You wouldnt have said to someone from Wales or Scotland or even someone from mainland Europe, but yet its okay to say it to an American.

I'll probably see you in 24 hours for this, but another thing that gets my goat about Canadians is that they can't say "about", they say it like, "aboot".

And no, that is not just some daft reference to the South Park movie.

I know loads of Scots that do

Its probably because a lot of the Scottish settled Canada, and brought their influxes on the language with them.

In regards to Americans bastardising the beautiful British English, see this blog post here: http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2011/07/anti-americanismism.html

England, America, Australia are all countries of immigrants and as such, our countries are blending and melting together - for better or worse. I bet a lot of telly programming people bang on and on about are actually written, directed and produced by British people who happen to work for American companies... Does it make any less British or any more American?

Isn't that Wednesday's song? Hi Ho Silver Lining? :D

Wiki

Association with Wolverhampton

In the United Kingdom, the song is famous for being the anthem of Wolverhampton Wanderers football club. It is played at their home ground of Molineux Stadium as the players run out onto the pitch, with supporters replacing the highpoint of the chorus with 'Hi Ho Wolverhampton!'. The song is also an unofficial anthem of the city of Wolverhampton, as the song is often played in pubs, clubs and bars around the city with people singing the same modified chorus lyrics as are sung at Molineux Stadium.

The song was also heavily featured in the 2002 film Anita and Me, which is set in a village on the outskirts of Wolverhampton.

Association with Football Clubs

The song is also used by Aston Villa F.C. and Sheffield Wednesday F.C..

Oh yes and Wednesday

I love them, Sheldon Cooper and Barney Stinson and both genius comedy characters, I would like to understand the thought process that created them. I think you need to watch them from the first series so you really can get the character jokes. I can't explain why somebody knocking on a door and saying Penny 5 times is funny, but it is!

Oh goodness I love the Big Bang Theory! I have missed a few episodes, though. Did you see the episode with

? :hihi::hihi:

Archived