Too much American 'culture' in the UK?

Is a Brummy, Tyke, Geordie, Jock, Paddy or Taffy any less guilty than a Texan, Alabama-ian, New Yorker of buggering about with the English language?

They all have expressions and words particular to their parts of the world.

Not everybody can speak English like 'er Royal "Ighness yer know.

But you lot can't even spell properly, color indeed. :rolleyes:

Simon Cowell, Sharon Osbourne...not the best ambassadors :rolleyes:

Andy McCluskey (OMD) sums up Cowell's influence on UK music with "Simon Cowell is singlehandedly responsible for some of the most -ing awful music in the last 15 years that's been inflicted on the entire planet":hihi:

Source => http://www.spin.com/articles/exclusive-new-song-synth-pop-legends-omd

But you lot can't even spell properly, color indeed. :rolleyes:

I was in Boston, Mass. last week. There's a lot of old historic graveyards in that city.

We were looking at one tomb which read "Mary Anne fyfter of Benjamin"

My wife said "what the heck is a fyfter"

I said back in the 16th and 17th centuries the letter "S' was shaped like an "F" and the letter 'Y" was used more frequently than the letter "i" so it wasn't "fyfter". It was their way of spelling "sister" She's a westerner so all this strange ancient spelling is unknown to her.

I reckon that the Americans were far too busy pursuing the "right to life, liberty, love and happiness' to bother too much about including the letter U in the word 'color" as the letter "U" doesn't make any difference in the pronunciation of the word anyway just as spelling "Programme" doesnt make any difference in "Program"

If old Benjamin Smallwood of New York was writing a letter to his cousin Edward Smallwood in London back in 1845 or thereabouts but Ben was off to a baseball game or a night of wenching at the local cat house it behooved him to speed things up by dropping unecessary letters in his handwritten letter written by quill and candlelight when the pleasures of life, liberty, love and happiness were out there just waiting to be had :D

Actually, the one I wish you Brits would take back home is

Oh pleeaase. It's time for her to go home now. And take her embarrassingly awful TV series with her. Sarah, I'm sorry for you. I can't imagine life in the royal family would be easy, but you blew it! Big time! At this point, who cares why? It's not about you anymore, your time has passed. Take care of your daughters, who seem like nice young ladies and let all this other stuff go. And for pete's sake, quit airing all your dirty laundry in public. You just make yourself look like even more a basket case. :)

Actually, the one I wish you Brits would take back home is

Oh pleeaase. It's time for her to go home now. And take her embarrassingly awful TV series with her. Sarah, I'm sorry for you. I can't imagine life in the royal family would be easy, but you blew it! Big time! At this point, who cares why? It's not about you anymore, your time has passed. Take care of your daughters, who seem like nice young ladies and let all this other stuff go. And for pete's sake, quit airing all your dirty laundry in public. You just make yourself look like even more a basket case. :)

I'm with you on that Sierra, what a sad head case she is, didn;t get an invite to the wedding so she went into a jungle to talk to the trees , now she's back on TV making a bigger ass of herself :loopy:

You've got Russell Brand, excellent, it serves you lot right for calling football soccer and for buggering about with the English language. You know what they say, what goes around comes around. :hihi:

Soccer is actually a BRITISH word, adopted by us Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_%28word%29

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) records that the first written use of the word football used to describe a game was in 1424 in an Act forbidding it. The first written use of the word football to describe the ball was 1486, and that the first use as a verb (hence footballing) was in 1599. For the etymology, the OED just indicates it is a compound of foot and ball.

Although it is widely assumed that the word football, or "foot ball", originated in reference to the action of a foot kicking a ball, this may be a false etymology. The historical explanation has it that the word originally referred to a variety of games in medieval Europe, which were played on foot.[3] These sports were usually played by peasants, as opposed to the horse-riding sports more often enjoyed by aristocrats. This explanation is supported by the fact that the word football has always implied a wide variety of games played on foot, not just those that revolved around kicking a ball. In some cases, the word has been applied to games which involved carrying a ball and specifically banned kicking. For example, the English writer William Hone, writing in 1825 or 1826, quotes the social commentator Sir Frederick Morton Eden, regarding a game — which Hone refers to as "Foot-Ball" — played in the parish of Scone, Perthshire:

The game was this: he who at any time got the ball into his hands, run [sic] with it till overtaken by one of the opposite part; and then, if he could shake himself loose from those on the opposite side who seized him, he run on; if not, he threw the ball from him, unless it was wrested from him by the other party, but no person was allowed to kick it.[4] [Emphasis added.]

However, there is no conclusive evidence for either hypothesis regarding the origins of the word.

The word "soccer" originated as an Oxford "-er" slang abbreviation of "association", and was popularized in the late nineteenth century by a prominent English footballer, Charles Wreford-Brown.[5] This origin is evident in the sometimes-heard variation, "soccer football".

You have no one to blame but yourselves for that mess.

and theyre paranoid islam is taking over europe

That was part of my argument on the thread about a KFC in Sheffield selling halal chicken.

There was an uproar from the right wing mob about them coming over here and taking our Englishness away from us - totally missing the fact that KFC is an American food chain, and any "invasion" had begun with them.

I'm assuming people are ok with America taking over because they are seen as having the same skin colour, and speaking the same language. As opposed to "them" with their funny accents and different skin colour.

Sod off! Finders keepers and Fergie found you!!!!

Muhahahahaha..... We don't want her back :nono:

I watched one episode of her show. One. It's all I could stand. In it, she's blubbering about how negative all this media intrusion has been for her children and blaming everyone but herself for her troubles and just...psychobabble. Whoooaaa! back it up a minute there, sister. Media intrusion? You mean the cameras that YOU bring into their home and allow to follow them all over town as they attempt to go about their business? THOSE cameras?! Aaaarrrrrgggh.

We yanks are fascinated by royalty. We have no royalty here. We have rich people who call themselves royalty, but they aren't really royal. So it was like, wow, royalty (if only by marriage), spilling their guts on Oprah. We just have to look. And after 45 minutes of this I think, "I'm amazed the Queen hasn't hired a hit man yet! She's awful!"

I fear she won't be leaving just yet. At least not until the attention and gravy train dry up. She's got people around her who give her money for running her mouth. And she does take the cameras back to London with her as she runs around town, pointing out the various scenes of her crimes when she was married to prince whatshisname. Andrew? I think?

Archived