Would humanity be better off without money?

If we did away with money, collectively would we be better off? Does our current system of currency create dysfunction? If so, would certain people who are better off living under the current paradigm, want to keep the status quo, despite the dysfunction it creates? What could replace money?

Money is brilliant, it is how it is manipulated, along with property rights.

£ sterling is disgusting currency. I detest it. And the state which classify's it as legal tender.

Would rather have a commodity/time/commodity-time based currency.

£ allows unfair manipulation of the value of labour and commodities.

If we did away with money, collectively would we be better off? Does our current system of currency create dysfunction? If so, would certain people who are better off living under the current paradigm, want to keep the status quo, despite the dysfunction it creates? What could replace money?

No, we'd be far worse off without it. Maybe you should examine why currency was required in the first place and think on. That said many cultures did not use currency until recently and a few still don't but look where there society has got them.

Society would be dysfunctional without money. People just wouldnt do stuff for each other without a currency. Suppose I wanted a gardener to turf my garden for me, how would I get him to do it without money? I cant think what I would be able to do for him of equal worth in return.

This is what im thinking too, people willingly contributing their skills and experience to the greater community. Could that ever happen on a large scale?

I just see so much dysfunction and messed-up-ness that happens as a result of the currency paradigm. I also think we're better off with certain things than without them, we are a work in progress, and may in time evolve a less broken system. Not sue what form that would take..

What would you barter with the electricity company for your electricity though, how would they administer such a system with 50,000,000 customers ?

All utilities should be nationalised.

Gas, leccy, water, oil, public transport (trains, trams, bus, planes, ferry), internet/cable.

Archived