Would humanity be better off without money?

All utilities should be nationalised.

Gas, leccy, water, oil, public transport (trains, trams, bus, planes, ferry), internet/cable.

So how would the government collect "payment" from the 50,000,000 people using electricity ?

No, we'd be far worse off without it. Maybe you should examine why currency was required in the first place and think on. That said many cultures did not use currency until recently and a few still don't but look where there society has got them.

Dont confuse money ,which can be anything of value, with currency which is simply money in cash form.

Society would be dysfunctional without money. People just wouldnt do stuff for each other without a currency. Suppose I wanted a gardener to turf my garden for me, how would I get him to do it without money? I cant think what I would be able to do for him of equal worth in return.

You could offer a sexual favour or teach his dog yoga-perhaps abit od each would do the trick?

Society would be dysfunctional without money. People just wouldnt do stuff for each other without a currency. Suppose I wanted a gardener to turf my garden for me, how would I get him to do it without money? I cant think what I would be able to do for him of equal worth in return.

You would offer some other service in return for turfing your garden. Money exist because people can't do everything for themselves. You might need the service of another person but that person might not need the service you offer. You could always go to a 3rd person to get the money/service to give to the second person, but that gets a bit crazy after a while. The global population growth also necessitates the need for money. There would be no point in having money if only yourself had it.

I think there's probably a need for money in society unfortunately but I hate that we say we can't afford to do all these amazing scientific things because of money.

Any research or project that could potentially benefit mankind in the future should be exempt from money. I'm not quite sure how this would work but all materials etc should be free and obviously those working on it need to be paid by the government.

I dont see how we could do without money...but I hate the way society is geared around it.

Can it be right that we run around all day every day, non stop...just to get more money?

All that time wasted!! Just for money!!!!

...or is it just me that hates my day job? :hihi:

Any research or project that could potentially benefit mankind in the future should be exempt from money. I'm not quite sure how this would work but all materials etc should be free and obviously those working on it need to be paid by the government.

If people are being paid by the government, it's not exempt from money, is it? People would have to work on behalf of the people doing the research in order for them to be paid. When you say "all materials should be free", where do you get the materials from for free?

Archived