Would humanity be better off without money?

If people are being paid by the government, it's not exempt from money, is it? People would have to work on behalf of the people doing the research in order for them to be paid. When you say "all materials should be free", where do you get the materials from for free?

Hey, i'm just trying my best here!

you make me sick

If we did away with money, collectively would we be better off? Does our current system of currency create dysfunction? If so, would certain people who are better off living under the current paradigm, want to keep the status quo, despite the dysfunction it creates? What could replace money?

If you think that you'd be better-off without money, please send all of yours to all of us others.

If you think that you'd be better-off without money, please send all of yours to all of us others.

I'm not making any such claims Jeffrey, just seeking to stimulate discussion. In any case, the idea was what if humanity did away with money, not just one person, while the rest of humanity continues to operate under the current paradigm.

.. which I believe is broken, and creates all kind of dysfunction, but that doesn't automatically mean we're better off without it.

I'm not making any such claims Jeffrey, just seeking to stimulate discussion. In any case, the idea was what if humanity did away with money, not just one person, while the rest of humanity continues to operate under the current paradigm.

.. which I believe is broken, and creates all kind of dysfunction, but that doesn't automatically mean we're better off without it.

It's always easy to point to things which are wrong with the world, especially when there's just so much world and so many people in it. However simly pointing out things you don't like can only get you so far.

Sure money can cause problems but whilst I can see how small scale, relatively simply societies can function without money. I simply can't imagine how a large scale complex society- like the global one we live in, could possibly function without t medium of exchange. Now I like living in a complex society with the internet, healthcare, books, films, music form all over the world easily available, universities...

If you can explain how these things would be possible without money then please do so. If you can't actually suggest some kind of alternative all you're doing is whining.

It's always easy to point to things which are wrong with the world, especially when there's just so much world and so many people in it. However simly pointing out things you don't like can only get you so far.

It's just debate. Exploration. That's all.

I didn't say I don't like money; I love it (or more specifically, I love what it empowers me to do, use and have, within the social context).

It's still possible at the same time to consider how on a global scale (i.e. the totality of humanity) how money creates disharmony, dysfunction, waste etc.

Sure money can cause problems but whilst I can see how small scale, relatively simply societies can function without money. I simply can't imagine how a large scale complex society- like the global one we live in, could possibly function without t medium of exchange. Now I like living in a complex society with the internet, healthcare, books, films, music form all over the world easily available, universities...

Me too. I love living in a complex society, though I also like to get away from all the noise from time to time.

Do you believe humanity will always have some medium of exchange, and will never evolve a more efficiant way of doing business?

If you can explain how these things would be possible without money then please do so. If you can't actually suggest some kind of alternative all you're doing is whining.

I'm afraid I don't have a solution; I think by and large individuals are far too self-centric to act for the good of the whole, rather than their own personal benefit. Perhaps that's all good and natural.

Reminds me a little of the prisoners dilema.

Anyhow, stuff you all, I'm back to working...

Archived