Only 7% sickness benefit claimants unable to do any sort of work

Cool, people think it's weird i don't have one.

I suppose once all the brain tumours start to show I'll be laughing.

Do you think that's why Mr Steve Jobs has been, you know, unwell these past few months?

Do you think that's why Mr Steve Jobs has been, you know, unwell these past few months?

I think he dislocated something laughing at everyone who traded in their Iphone 3 for an Iphone 4 and their Ipad 1 for an Ipad 2.

unless they are actually doctors how can they do the job ?

If you're required to take a medical examination, it is a fully qualified doctor who undertakes it.

However, the assessing of forms and information is most probably done by non-doctoral staff. Certainly, it is not the doctor who gives you a medical, who also decides whether you qualify for benefits; he reports back to the DWP whose decision-makers make the decision. (I don't know what the formal job title for those decision-makers is...)

People, can we relax a bit? There's more to this topic than Rich.

Indeed there is and I have to say that most people are very ill-informed about how ESA 'works' and the consequences that it has for a lot of people.

One important distinction that I'd like to point out is that ESA is not about benefit fraud. Lots of people seem to think that they new test is about identifying people defrauding the system - it's not. The Work Capability Assessment is essentially about assessing existing genuine, non-fraudulent incapacity benefit claimants who were classified as not fit for work, and then reclassifying most of them as fit for work. In some cases this is perfectly justified, I believe that under the old system if you were registered blind you were automatically assumed to be unfit for work which is clearly false, particularly with the advent of new technology such as screen readers to assist people with visual impairments.

But what is happening in my experience is that large numbers of people with mental health problems and learning disabilities who are clearly not yet ready for the rigours of paid work are being classified as fit for work. Nothing is changing in regard to their work circumstances; they are still unemployed and likely to be so for the foreseeable future - what has changed is that they get less money. This is a dishonesty because it's pretending that people are able to do something they are not so that we can give them less money to live on.

Tony, your thread title should really read 'tests find only 7% of sickness benefit claimants unable to do any sort of work'. It does not follow that the test is correct.

Archived