Only 7% sickness benefit claimants unable to do any sort of work

I was on call last night after doing a full day, so I got regular calls from 8am untill 10pm yesterday, then I had a call out at 2am, then back up for work at 6am.

Lie-ins are a thing of the past :(

I used to be on call, after a full days work too, it's a pain in the posterior, eventually I just refused to do it, and took a pay cut.

Yes, I can think off a job you can do. Chief moderator on Sheffield Forum. :D

Quite, the distinctions are made to massage the unemployment figures.

Why not just give everyone who is out of work the same money?

To do different smacks of the Workhouse and the distinction between deserving and undeserving poor. It would also save a fortune in assessments and appeals if everyone got the same.

of course there are deserving and undeserving poor, why should they not be treated as such?

Figures like this make me laugh.. they're all just propaganda BS for the masses to strengthen an idealogical argument. Of course only 7% of people are actually unfit to work.. hell if we did the job right we could get that down to 0%. There is no reason whatsoever with the right support etc etc that any given person (no matter their condition) couldn't do something!

I mean you could get a paralysed quadriplegic, that's in a coma to do some work with the right support. Strap them to a chair, with a drip and a catheter wheel them out into a field to work as a scarecrow. Job's a good 'un!

Stupid? yes of course.. but then so are statistics like this, it's all about where you set the bar, and what propaganda you what to feed to the pleb on the street.

• 3 weeks later...

12 doctors working for Atos, the company employed to carry out the Work Capability Assessments, are under investigation by the General Medical Council for alleged improper conduct and face being struck off http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/aug/13/atos-doctors-improper-conduct-disability

All of the allegations relate to the Work Capability Assessments. People should keep an eye on this: if the twelve were struck off it would raise massive question marks over all of the assessments undertaken by Atos and figures like the 7% quoted would be rendered totally meaningless. For context, the GMC struck off 86 doctors in 2009 and Atos employ a very small percentage of the doctors working in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14515518

Osbourne is suggesting doing away with the 50p tax rate because - he speculates - a lot of people are dodging it.

So, if some people claiming sickness benefit are working the system, we should make it tougher for everyone claiming it. On the other hand, if some wealthy people are abusing the tax system, we should change the law to make what they are doing legal!

How about making sure people pay their 50p in the pound tax and using the revenue to ensure those genuinely unable to work are not pushed into hardship?

Indeed, god forbid that!! I regulary work 24hr shifts and weekends, sounds like I would be better off on the drip, free house and spending money and no anti-social hours and a lie in every day.

24 hour shifts ...luxury

We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

I do work voluntarily for SYP but not as a Special Constable, I've applied 3 times for that and failed the interview stage last August :(

I wasn'y aware that SYP had voluntary workers except for Special Constables.

I would be interested to know in what capacity you work, if you wish to share the information.

I wasn'y aware that SYP had voluntary workers except for Special Constables.

I would be interested to know in what capacity you work, if you wish to share the information.

My job title is Police Support Volunteer, I don't wish to discuss what I do, that is between me and my bosses.

Do you see?

My job title is Police Support Volunteer, I don't wish to discuss what I do, that is between me and my bosses.

Do you see?

I fully appreciate it if you do not wish to speak about your specific duties but it was the nature of work volunteers are carrying out for SYP that interested me.

Archived