Only 7% sickness benefit claimants unable to do any sort of work

I fully appreciate it if you do not wish to speak about your specific duties but it was the nature of work volunteers are carrying out for SYP that interested me.

Google the Lifewise Centre, that's where I work, they're moving in a few weeks though to the Industrial Estate at Hellaby, between Rotherham and Doncaster.

<snippy>

Why not just give everyone who is out of work the same money?

To do different smacks of the Workhouse and the distinction between deserving and undeserving poor. It would also save a fortune in assessments and appeals if everyone got the same.

As for whether you give everybody who's not working the same money, how about all of the people who need extra support just to live? Being disabled is a really expensive lifestyle, when you consider the need to employ someone to look after the person who is unable to care for themselves.

Thankfully I've got an in-house carer who doesn't cost the state anything, but if you're not in the position of having someone who is kind enough to do it out of love then you have to employ someone to do it for money. DLA, Attendance Allowance and other disability benefits are paid in recognition that those with disabilities incur a more expensive lifestyle than the average person and this expense is unavoidable.

Paying everybody the same money would either mean increasing everybody else's benefits by quite a large amount, or would mean leaving people who have no choice but to pay for care unable to do so.

Good on you Rich for contributing to something to help society.

Thanks, I just get fed up of being slagged off for not working for money, even though I work OUT OF TOWN for no money apart from expenses.

Here, here!

I've been seriously considering this over the past few years, but especially recently!

You'll be interested to know that there are several PSV (Police Support Volunteer) vacancies on the SYP web site, have a look on http://www.southyorks.police.uk for details.

It's a worthy job, I've been working for them for nearly 3 years and love it.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but why would/should I work for a quid 50 an hour when IMO I could do just as good a job on proper money? Yes I know it would negatively affect my benefits, but if it was up to me I'd be working for enough money to not have to be on benefits!

Also, from a personal point, there would be issues surrounding me doing call centre work, they wear headsets due to the nature of the work, I wear a hearing aid, and to date, not even the RNID have been able to sell me a headset that works with my hearing aid! And until about 6 or so years ago I had to wear an adaptor to be able to use a mobile phone!

I know that under the DDA the company would have to provide such aids to enable me to work, but there's still the fact that I refuse on principle to work for slave wages just cos I can't affect my benefits.

I think you have a fair grasp of english, logic and maths.

Of a sort.

Putting pegs in a hole is a job, I'm sure anybody who isn't in a coma could do that job. Now all the government have to do is create a couple of million jobs putting pegs in holes and everybody claiming incapacity benefit will have a job. :help:

I do love the statistics these numpties come up with. Does this idea mean I get a job working for DWP coming up with inflamatory, prejudiced just plain stupid statistics?

Archived