Only 7% sickness benefit claimants unable to do any sort of work

I have a prolapsed disc which caused me a lot of pain and sciatica; It stopped me from doing a job that I had done for ten years, but it didn’t stop me working, I just found something that I could do that didn’t cause me pain. To many people just use their health as a reason not to work.

Hard to believe, but I had to be classed as "unfit to work" in order to get disability benefits to which I am entitled, yet I've been doing voluntary work for nigh on 20 years!

"Entitled" is only what the currently society considers acceptable.

- nobody is truely "Entitled" to anything from society, and with the current attitude of the general public, nobody should be "Entitled" to anything.

It's a shame, often the measure of a civilization is how it treats its weakest, in the UKs case, its going down hill fast!

"Entitled" is only what the currently society considers acceptable.

- nobody is truely "Entitled" to anything from society, and with the current attitude of the general public, nobody should be "Entitled" to anything.

It's a shame often the measure of a civilization is how it treats its weakest, in the UK case, its going down hill fast!

I believe I said as much. It's all about influencing public opinion to accept things and people are falling for it.

I have a prolapsed disc which caused me a lot of pain and sciatica; It stopped me from doing a job that I had done for ten years, but it didn’t stop me working, I just found something that I could do that didn’t cause me pain. To many people just use their health as a reason not to work.

So, I retrained after being ill, but I'm now not able to do that job either. Can you think of a job I could do without my dominant arm, whilst lying down (the only comfortable position) and whilst taking random unplanned sleep breaks?

And when you've thought about that and come up with an answer can you then find a company who is prepared to employ me and also pay for a helper to come in at random times to help with the problems I have with clothes for loo breaks and also to help with the stuff I have problems shifting because of the knackered back and knackered arm? How do I expect an employer to pay for 2 people to only get one person's worth of work?

Being 'fit for work' is all a bit pointless if there aren't enough jobs to go round anyway, isn't it? You go from one subset of people without jobs to a different subset of people without jobs, that's all.

So, I retrained after being ill, but I'm now not able to do that job either. Can you think of a job I could do without my dominant arm, whilst lying down (the only comfortable position) and whilst taking random unplanned sleep breaks?

And when you've thought about that and come up with an answer can you then find a company who is prepared to employ me and also pay for a helper to come in at random times to help with the problems I have with clothes for loo breaks and also to help with the stuff I have problems shifting because of the knackered back and knackered arm? How do I expect an employer to pay for 2 people to only get one person's worth of work?

Being 'fit for work' is all a bit pointless if there aren't enough jobs to go round anyway, isn't it? You go from one subset of people without jobs to a different subset of people without jobs, that's all.

That's right, a lot of, shall we say, the usual suspects, are being suckered in and going with the flow of proposed governmental policy. A bit back there was a big political row about tests for disabled people; it seems they are persistently chipping away.

Try telling that to the Daily Mail readers when they're on one about the state of the Universe and the likes of me and other benefit claimants "bleeding their taxes dry" :loopy:

Tony, has it not occurred to you that the test is designed to find only 7% of people unfit for work, regardless of whether they are or not? This government is trying to save money.

We could change the driving test to make it much harder to pass so that only 7% of people get through, that wouldn't mean that only 7% of people were capable of safely driving.

Both you and Rich could do call centre work, or work involving a computer, sending emails/letter etc.

(Although I'd imagine Rich hates speaking on the telephone, perhaps even avoids carrying one about)

The pay wouldn't be worth it though, when you consider DLA and the loss of benefit. Perhaps some 50p per hour.

UC will allow you to earn some £1.50 an hour though, and those without DLA can earn some £1.50 an hour too! (On top of benefit/Negative income tax)

Work is a funny old thing, especially when kuka et. al. replaces the workforce of the essential labour. Combined with the tax-benefit system we have a heirachy for the upper class and various classification of prole, with a income determined for the most part by potential benefit entitlements.

Might aswell dole out a depreciating currency like £ and have a non means tested social safety net for all.

Personally, I would think this is solid ground to claim incapacity benefit.

However, on the flip side (and what the public might argue) from what you've written, it seems you are intelligent, articulate and can put your self across in a proficient manner on Message Boards.

People actually pay for that... Forum Posters. Its not great money, and there will be no helpers, but its work that you as and when you feel you can

Archived