Only 7% sickness benefit claimants unable to do any sort of work

So, I retrained after being ill, but I'm now not able to do that job either. Can you think of a job I could do without my dominant arm, whilst lying down (the only comfortable position) and whilst taking random unplanned sleep breaks?

And when you've thought about that and come up with an answer can you then find a company who is prepared to employ me and also pay for a helper to come in at random times to help with the problems I have with clothes for loo breaks and also to help with the stuff I have problems shifting because of the knackered back and knackered arm? How do I expect an employer to pay for 2 people to only get one person's worth of work?

Being 'fit for work' is all a bit pointless if there aren't enough jobs to go round anyway, isn't it? You go from one subset of people without jobs to a different subset of people without jobs, that's all.

I said too many people use their health as a reason not to work, I am sure there are many claims that are justified and I have no doubt that yours is a justified claim. There are however many claims that are not justified, I know of several people that claim not to be able to work, yet they can walk the dog miles, walk to the pub and play pool, dig the garden, drive their car and carry shopping, some I know even manage to clean windows on the fiddle.

I have an uncle who is 'mentally handicapped' (for want of a better term?).

He went to one of these tests and unbelievably my nan (his full time carer) was not allowed to speak on his behalf at all. They asked him if he can lift his arms up, walk reasonable distances and other stuff. Can he write his own name, can he use a keyboard, etc. They asked him if he felt alright and obviously he said yes, his mental capacity clearly will not allow him to articulate to the assessor what his disabilities are.

He was passed fit for work, even though there is CLEARLY not able to do any work. If he was in a customer facing role, the public perceptions and prejudices would be negative for whatever company he worked for. They wouldn't employ him. If he was in a call centre role as soon as anyone shouted at him he would cry. I have worked in a call centre - people tend to shout when its just someone on the other end of the telephone. A lot.

He just is not capable of working and anyone who spent 10 minutes with him would not begrudge him living his ever fading days out on disability, watching horse racing every day or the olympics, or childrens TV.

This Governments policies are truly repugnant.

Hopefully the appeal will be successful.

I said too many people use their health as a reason not to work, I am sure there are many claims that are justified and I have no doubt that yours is a justified claim. There are however many claims that are not justified, I know of several people that claim not to be able to work, yet they can walk the dog miles, walk to the pub and play pool, dig the garden, drive their car and carry shopping, some I know even manage to clean windows on the fiddle.

Wouldn't the answer to that be to dob them in then, rather than make thousands of genuinely ill people go to all the stress and effort of having to appeal a wrong decision in order to get what they are entitled to in the first place?

So, I retrained after being ill, but I'm now not able to do that job either. Can you think of a job I could do without my dominant arm, whilst lying down (the only comfortable position) and whilst taking random unplanned sleep breaks?

Some kind of home based computer work perhaps.

Both you and Rich could do call centre work, or work involving a computer, sending emails/letter etc.

(Although I'd imagine Rich hates speaking on the telephone, perhaps even avoids carrying one about)

The pay wouldn't be worth it though, when you consider DLA and the loss of benefit. Perhaps some 50p per hour.

UC will allow you to earn some £1.50 an hour though, and those without DLA can earn some £1.50 an hour too! (On top of benefit/Negative income tax)

Work is a funny old thing, especially when kuka et. al. replaces the workforce of the essential labour. Combined with the tax-benefit system we have a heirachy for the upper class and various classification of prole, with a income determined for the most part by potential benefit entitlements.

Might aswell dole out a depreciating currency like £ and have a non means tested social safety net for all.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but why would/should I work for a quid 50 an hour when IMO I could do just as good a job on proper money? Yes I know it would negatively affect my benefits, but if it was up to me I'd be working for enough money to not have to be on benefits!

Also, from a personal point, there would be issues surrounding me doing call centre work, they wear headsets due to the nature of the work, I wear a hearing aid, and to date, not even the RNID have been able to sell me a headset that works with my hearing aid! And until about 6 or so years ago I had to wear an adaptor to be able to use a mobile phone!

I know that under the DDA the company would have to provide such aids to enable me to work, but there's still the fact that I refuse on principle to work for slave wages just cos I can't affect my benefits.

Personally, I would think this is solid ground to claim incapacity benefit.

However, on the flip side (and what the public might argue) from what you've written, it seems you are intelligent, articulate and can put your self across in a proficient manner on Message Boards.

People actually pay for that... Forum Posters. Its not great money, and there will be no helpers, but its work that you as and when you feel you can

:oIs there really such a job as a forum poster? What do they do apart from the obvious.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but why would/should I work for a quid 50 an hour when IMO I could do just as good a job on proper money? Yes I know it would negatively affect my benefits, but if it was up to me I'd be working for enough money to not have to be on benefits!

Also, from a personal point, there would be issues surrounding me doing call centre work, they wear headsets due to the nature of the work, I wear a hearing aid, and to date, not even the RNID have been able to sell me a headset that works with my hearing aid! And until about 6 or so years ago I had to wear an adaptor to be able to use a mobile phone!

I know that under the DDA the company would have to provide such aids to enable me to work, but there's still the fact that I refuse on principle to work for slave wages just cos I can't affect my benefits.

£1.50 would be how much you earn per hour after the tapered deduction of benefit following the introduction of UC which will occur in 2012.

Currently a job might yield you some 50p per hour increase in income.. (after deduction of benefit)

Both you and Rich could do call centre work, or work involving a computer, sending emails/letter etc.

(Although I'd imagine Rich hates speaking on the telephone, perhaps even avoids carrying one about)

The pay wouldn't be worth it though, when you consider DLA and the loss of benefit. Perhaps some 50p per hour.

UC will allow you to earn some £1.50 an hour though, and those without DLA can earn some £1.50 an hour too! (On top of benefit/Negative income tax)

Work is a funny old thing, especially when kuka et. al. replaces the workforce of the essential labour. Combined with the tax-benefit system we have a heirachy for the upper class and various classification of prole, with a income determined for the most part by potential benefit entitlements.

Might aswell dole out a depreciating currency like £ and have a non means tested social safety net for all.

I've looked into doing call centre work and found that operatives hot desk, including using all the same chairs and desks which are fine if you don't have a problem, but I've got a custom office chair which cost £1000 and which I still can't sit in for more than half an hour because my feet go dead unless I'm lying down.

I also can't predict when I'm going to need to take naps, and they can be up to 2 hours at a time. How many employers would be fine with that?

Wouldn't the answer to that be to dob them in then, rather than make thousands of genuinely ill people go to all the stress and effort of having to appeal a wrong decision in order to get what they are entitled to in the first place?

When they are dobbed in as you put it they would still require proof and would still do a medical to assess their ability to work, and remember they have already had a medical that says they can’t work, so the medical must have been wrong or to easy to fiddle.

I am sure I could claim incapacity benefit but why should I when there are some jobs I can do.

Archived